TV Will Not work in NVIDIA GTX 660 HDMI Port

justinblaine23

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
Hello,

I have an issue that I haven't had any luck in fixing myself so I wanted to ask here.
I have a Samsung TV that will not output video or audio when used with my GTX 660's HDMI port.
However, The TV outputs just fine when using Onboard, and the HDMI output on the card works with monitors. I have tried new cables, updating drivers..etc to no avail.
Anybody have any other suggestions?
Also, the TV is usually recognized by the PC as "Samsung" when I go into the display properties.

Solution
Hmm, that's the strange part, that the signal is definitely working if it can detect the tv model etc and is leaving the desktop space for it.
How many displays are plugged in at once?
Have you checked to see if there are updates for the TV? I saw a section on the manual for both wired and wireless firmware updates. The patch notes (if there are ones newer than your current release) might be an easy way to see if it would be in the ballpark.

dwatterworth

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
You may need to select the input detection type on your TV. HDMI usually relies on a signal from whatever device is plugged in to actually tell it that it is on. I have a computer hooked up to a TV and I had to change the connection detection from auto to force on. In my instance the TV would show video from the HDMI briefly and then go to 'no signal' since there was no signal from the video card indicating it was 'on' even though the audio and video were transmitting.

What is the model TV?

justinblaine23

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
TV Model is UN40EH6030FXZA
I have looked through the settings and didn't see anything related to connection detection. I'll give that a shot when I get home later today.

However, If it was the TV wouldn't it not work with the Integrated Graphics?

dwatterworth

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hmm darn, I didn't see any signal detection modes in the manual. Does the TV work if you have a screen plugged into the 660 at the same time?

I was thinking it had to be a signal detection mode since the hdmi ports all cross-checked to be working with other devices.

If you have the TV and only 1 other display plugged in at the same time, does the GPU detect the TV At all? If so, maybe try changing the resolution output on the GPU, the manual suggests 720p first, maybe 480 etc as well.

There are also power saving and auto-off features listed in the manual which might be worth trying them in the 'off' setting to eliminate any random problems.

justinblaine23

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
Yes, the TV is recognized usually when another monitor is plugged into DVI. I have tried different resolutions to no avail. I'll try the Auto-off stuff and I am also trying a Displayport to HDMI adapter to see if it's something weird with audio that's causing the issue.

Thanks for your responses.

justinblaine23

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

I have verified that I am able to get picture by using a Displayport to HDMI adapter. However I am still trying to get Straight HDMI to work. I tested again with HDMI and the computer recognizes it, and allows windows and programs to be moved to it but the screen on the TV remains black saying "no signal"

Any other suggestions out there?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

dwatterworth

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hmm, that's the strange part, that the signal is definitely working if it can detect the tv model etc and is leaving the desktop space for it.
How many displays are plugged in at once?
Have you checked to see if there are updates for the TV? I saw a section on the manual for both wired and wireless firmware updates. The patch notes (if there are ones newer than your current release) might be an easy way to see if it would be in the ballpark.

Solution