Twitter - Someone has same email address as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
I don't ever recall signing up for twitter and just tried to sign up today. I entered my full name and when I entered my email it said that this email is already registered so I clicked on the password recovery link. At the Twitter password recovery link there is a username and avatar associated with "this" or my email address that I do not recognize.

Is it possible this twitter user has the same email address as me? Should Twitter not have something in place that prevents identical emails being used, like a full name to help distinguish the account? What should I do?

USAFRet

Illustrious

There is no such thing as duplicate email addresses (mostly).
kol12@gmail.com exists exactly once.
kol12@outlook.com exists exactly once.
kol12@Someotherplace.com is not the same email address.

Now....someone may have created a twitter account, and fatfingered the wrong email...yours. It happens.
But he would have no access to that email account.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

So what do you suggest I do?

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
In the password reset link there is another link called "not my account". In that link it say's:

"If you did not sign up for the Twitter account "ArsenalKolack", please confirm so that we may remove your email address *****@gm*****.com from this account."

So how can they remove my email address from this persons account? Will they inform them that they're are using someone else's email address?

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
This is what I got after clicking "not my account"

"Your email has been removed.
Your email (*****@gm*****.com) has been removed from the Twitter account "ArsenalKolack".

You will no longer receive Twitter notifications intended for this account.

Why was your email associated with an account that doesn't belong to you?
It's likely that another user entered your email address when signing up for a Twitter account. Or, someone may be engaging in abuse, in which case your report may help identify and remove spam from Twitter."

Is it possible someone has got hold of my email address and is abusing it? It's seems rather unlikely that someone would just by chance use my email?

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
My email is now usable in the Twitter signup form so I guess I can go ahead with that now. I'm bit concerned about someone knowing my email address though, I guess sometimes your address can spread far and wide?

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Yeah I can sign up now. Should I not worry to much about this? I suppose Twitter have been informed about possible spam linked to my email address now.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Abusing? Unlikely.
Fatfinger more like.

For instance, if I were to move to Santa Clara, CA, and live in a particular neighborhood, I could not create a new account with their HOA.
Or a job board in Manchester England.
Or a Cub Scout troop in Pittsburgh.
For about a year, I was getting updates from Hyundai, telling me that the car I purchased in San Antonio needed an oil change.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015

Hmm, I guess the chances of someone making a typo is quite high then, I would of thought the chances of typing my particular email be quite low but you never know I suppose.

I've never received any emails from Twitter related to this account so I guess that means the account was never very active or even active at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.