Two of my TV's make a clicking/popping sound which isn't coming from the speakers. Help!

TylerDurden77

Estimable
May 2, 2015
For a couple of weeks now my 42 Inch LG LED TV has been making a kind of clicking/popping sound. I was a bit concerned it was going to blow up so I bought a new Sony Bravia 48 Inch LED yesterday. All was well yesterday but I have turned it on this morning and it is making the same noises as the LG.
I am researching it online and some people are saying it could be a power outlet problem. I use an extension cable as the TV is too far from a plug socket. I have tried a different extension cable but it is still doing it. It's very random. Sometimes happens every 10 seconds and other times it is every few minutes. Usually lasts for around 10 seconds to 30 seconds and stops.
Was told it might be my Sky Box interfering with the TV but if this was the case then it would have always done it and I never had any problems up until a couple of weeks ago.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Update: It's not the Sky Box as I have totally unplugged it and the TV is still making the noise.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Since you are using SKY I will assume you are in the UK.
Can you try plugging the TV into a different socket temporarily ,preferably one on a different floor of your house so it is on a different ring main circuit and see if the noise still occurs.
I suspect it could be a loose wire on one of the sockets on that ring .
If it is a socket with a switch then it could also be a problem with the contacts of the switch.

TylerDurden77

Estimable
May 2, 2015
Hi and thanks for the reply,

I am indeed in the UK.
I have plugged it into a different socket on the opposite side of the room. I live in a bungalow with only one floor.
No noises as of yet. Hopefully this has fixed it.
I will monitor it over the next 24 hours and post again.
Thanks again for your help

TylerDurden77

Estimable
May 2, 2015
Hi again,

I have now tried both sets of sockets in the room where the TV is located and it is still making the noises.
It sounds like something is clicking inside the TV. It's very odd.
Any suggestions?
Thanks again.

TylerDurden77

Estimable
May 2, 2015

Hi again,

As far as I can tell the noises do indeed start when the fridge kicks in. I have noticed the noise when the fridge is not running but it is nowhere near as bad.

New fridge perhaps?

Thanks again.

TylerDurden77

Estimable
May 2, 2015

Brilliant thanks very much for your help. I will get one of the surge protected extensions and then update you on the situation.
Thank you very much

TylerDurden77

Estimable
May 2, 2015

Will do. Which should I plug into the extension? The fridge or the TV?
Thanks again.

TylerDurden77

Estimable
May 2, 2015

Hi again,

I have just noticed the TV is making the noise even when it is not turned on. Woke up this morning and it was doing it.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

TylerDurden77

Estimable
May 2, 2015

Hi. Just when it is powered down with the remote (on standby)

It's 100% the TV. I'm certain of that. Sometimes sound like there a mouse squeaking and scratching around in there.

Thanks.

makkem

Distinguished
That means there is still power to the TV power supply.
It may be the capacitors in the power supply charging and discharging,which would suggest that the mains voltage is fluctuating.
If it was me ,I would turn the power off and unscrew the socket from the wall and give the wiring into the socket a tug to make sure it was tight in the terminals.If nothing was found then I would repeat the process on the other sockets on that ring main.
The Fridge also seems to be a contributor so you could try unplugging it for a short while and see what happens.

TylerDurden77

Estimable
May 2, 2015

I unplugged the fridge and plugged it into the cooker socket and since doing that the TV hasn't made a sound. Hopefullyit has sorted it.
If not I will be back! lol

Thanks so much for your help.

Well that was a shot lived thing! Woke up this morning to the sound of the mouse squeaking away inside the TV again. Hopefully the new extension will fix the problem when it arrives. If not then I'm at a loss.