typing from the keyboard is slow, it can't keep up.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scott_hjk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Definately the battery (Inspiron 9400). Can't believe I spent 2 days working on this before finally finding the correct answer here (and such a simple fix). Dell had no clue, sent 2 replacement keyboards, said to wipe the PC etc. (they make good stuff, but the support......) Found hundreds of answers googling and this was the only right one. Thanks a million.

j3hopkins

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Amazing. I just took the battery out of my 5-year-old IBM Thinkpad and voila!--no more problems. I have NEVER run this laptop on anything but AC, incidentally.

maggieost

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
that amazing it did help some taking the battery out, but i am still running behind the typing? but the battery makes since. mine is inspiron 1520 this just happened about 2 weeks ago so i am still searching. will need to 2 run more tests

aperanzi

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I was having the same problem with lag time on my Inspirion 9400.
I was just searching the Dell website to find out the problem when I came upon a recall for batteries. This recall was back in 2006 and I wasn't notified. I will be contacting Dell shortly to find out when they will be sending me a new battery. :lol:
I ordered a new battery yesterday which I will be turning upon it's arrival. :D

aperanzi

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

Hello,
Go to dell.com and check recalls. I just found out that the battery for my dell laptop was recalled back in Aug. 2006.

bmoore73

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Fix slow keyboard response inspiron 1501 by paul jurco http://paul.jurco.ro/2009/01/07/fix-slow-keyboard-on-dell-inspiron-1501/comment-page-1/#comment-585

Read the following from his site.........

One of my colleague asked me to take a look at her laptop and check why the characters appear so slow sometimes.
At that moment I thought it’s a software issue. After several checks we reinstalled the XP but the problem persisted. So, we sent the notebook to the service.
After one month, we received it untouched with the following resolution: please reinstall the OS :).
Ok then…

So I started to investigate by killing unneeded processes.
I have started with ati2evxx.exe.
I was lucky, after two days of tests it seems that this was the problem.
The exe is started by a service named ati hotkey poller (I can’t remember exactly right now).
This process is installed together with the Ati driver (catalyst).
I have changed the service settings to not start at boot time (it cannot be stopped) and rebooted.

The problem was resolved.

Open services from control panel (click start->Run-> enter services.msc-> Hit Enter).
Double click the service and change the startup type to Manual (from Automatic).
Reboot.
If you want it back as it was, change it to Automatic.

stefdiy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
A few days ago my acer laptop aspire 1640z , began to behave slower than usual when typing on the keyboard. At first I thought it was a virus, I did all the necessary scans and found none.
I then thought it might be the Keyboard driver, but it wasn’t.
I went into safe mode by keeping F8 down when you start the computer and select the directory service restore mode, which resets certain applications back to its original state. I found that my internet AOL connection and explore and fire fox would not connect to the net. Make sure you have a disk for AOL or setup file for fire fox saved, to reinstall the software. This seemed to work a bit but by accident, I remove the battery from my laptop and kept the power cord connect and Wow! it works even faster than before.
I have also notice that my battery does not hold a charge anymore. My theory is that because the battery is in critical status when connected to laptop…. (Even though the power cord is connected), the computer thinks that its going to run out of power and wants to go into hibernation mode which slows everything down including typing on the keyboard.
So before you try the safe mode option, remove the battery and use only the power cord cable and see if this solves the problem. Mine is running fine again ,but when I put battery back it slows down again. I read on the net its affecting only Acer Laptops, probably because the way the power settings software is set up for the Acers.

Stephen P
stefdiy@aol.com

sscomput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
from sscomput: After reinstalling the OS WinXPSP3Home and still having the SLOW TYPING PROBLEM reported by the Owner of the laptop. I searched and found this information! After multiple attempts to resolve this problem for my client I simply removed the battery and this instantly fixed the DELAY IN TYPING PROBLEM. Now Works9 & Notepad respond accordingly to instant typing without any delays!! YEA! This is a Dell Vostro 1000 Laptop with Windows XP SP3 installed and so far I have spent about 12 hours trying to figure out the hardware issue. I changed out the memory, hard drive, and was almost ready to resort a Motherboard or CPU defaut error. Thank you for your information and this was a lifesaver over replacing major computer components for my client!!!

twirlspin

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

I had same isue with Vostro 1000. Re-installed OS same issue. Could browse the internet with little problem but could not type worh a damn. Removed the battery and Viola works perfectly! thanks very much

G

I have a laptop on AC power 24/7- and by "natural causes" my battery died. I left it in there, and about 5 months later, my keyboard slowed down to the point of me killing myself :p! Of course, I was devastated- I have papers to write, things to do. I searched, reinstalled the driver, did EVERYTHING- and finally, I took 10 seconds to finally take the battery out after reading this thread. Within 5 minutes my keyboard was up and running! Dont really know why....was it draining the keyboard? But anyway, Im happy, and thanks a much to the posters about the battery thing!

Tinana

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I hope my message will help you a little bit! I use laptop in my everyday life. From time to time i faced very serious problems with its battery at most unproper moments. I have never known that there are very easy ways to extend battery life of my laptop. I would like to advise You to this website where you can find every month very useful recommendations at the end of the page. They can be helpful to most people, using computers and laptops. I Personally think this site is great, as it is both commercial and informative as well. There are really interesting articles at the end of the page and it is possible to require advices there!

Tinana

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I hope my message will help you a little bit! I use laptop in my everyday life. From time to time i faced very serious problems with its battery at most unproper moments. I have never known that there are very easy ways to extend battery life of my laptop. I would like to advise You to this website where you can find every month very useful recommendations at the end of the page. They can be helpful to most people, using computers and laptops. I Personally think this site is great, as it is both commercial and informative as well. There are really interesting articles at the end of the page and it is possible to require advices there!

Dreek

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
My daughter's Inspiron 1501 had this slow keyboard problem and it seemed to be associated with the battery, in agreement with this thread.
The laptop now refuses to power up at all, no lights etc. That's using the power adapter with or without battery; so something has actually broken now. This might be a warning to others having this problem - replace the battery quickly.

Incidentally, with a failing battery, the power management electronics will be generating interrupts to the CPU; this is one of the mechanisms the laptop uses to manage its hibernation and power management in general - so it follows that if the battery is causing a lot of problems, because it's really no longer suitable for use, then the processor is having to handle a large number of power-management interrupts. I think perhaps this might be the cause of the mysterious slow typing effect.

AlchemistGM

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
This is happening on my desktop PC, so it's not the battery. Very very slow typing and if I hold down shift (which has auto-repeat) it locks up my computer for several minutes (depending how long I had held down shift) so if I use shift to select multiple items for example I am screwed. The machine locks up till it can process all those shift events, and I just have to wait it out.

went to processes and could not find any hotkey ati process, also checked for accessibility filters, they were off. scanned for keyloggers with multiple tools, finds nothing (defender/mccaffee/malaware/combofix)

just typing this entry has involved a lot of waiting for the characters to appear.

The fan usually speeds up too when it it trying to process my keystrokes.

while the characters are chugging along I cannot go to a different background window - it's just frozen from all other activities while trying to display my typing, character by character.

it says my physical memory is 87% used in task manager, with 95 processes running. Killed photoshop, memory at 75%, no improvement in typing speed.

CPU usage runs at around 15% except when typing, then it spikes up to about 70% - 100% and the moving graph freezes until my typing gets caught up to itself, then it quickly drops back to normal, and the moving graph resumes. memory usage doesnt fluctuate in response to typing, just the CPU.

This machine came with Vista pre-installed, and had no disk, so I can't re-install the OS, plus I wouldn't want to, I'm sure I've made many updates in the last 2 years

aha!

when I am typing, and I have task manager sort processes by CPU usage, a task called live.exe jumps to the top after the freeze goes away. NTDMservices is description. Time to find out what it is...

according to http://www.econsultant.com/windows-tasks/l/live.html it's a bad thing. killed it, typing is working normal! yay! it did not re-start itself yet. OK I am ending this message, sorry so long winded, I will try to find a removal tool that nails this one, the above mentioned tools did not.

gofsides

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Customer complaint: Dell Vostro 1000 laptop, approx 2 years old, keyboard response very slow - lags typing speed badly.

Removing the battery returns typing speed to normal. Inserting the battery causes it to slow down again.

Battery is good as tested with an Ohmmeter. System runs on battery with AC un-plugged. Battery is good and working properly.

A new/known good Vostro 1000 battery causes the same problem. System types normally if booted in safe mode with battery installed. The battery is not the problem - it is a symptom.

Using Task Manager, I determined that two copies of the ati2evxx.exe process were running. Terminating one instance of ati2evxx.exe fixes the problem. Typing speed is normal with only one copy of ati2evxx.exe running.

Problem: The system always starts two copies of the ati2evxx.exe process if the ATI Hotkey Poller service is set to start automatically.

Solution: disable the ATI Hotkey Poller service (or manually terminate one copy of the ati2evxx.exe process from Task Manager after each boot cycle).

How to disable the ATI Hotkey Poller:
1> Left click the Start button
2> Left click Run
3> Type in "services.msc" (without quotes)
4> Left click the OK button
5> In the Services (local) list, locate Ati Hotkey Poller
6> Double left click the Ati Hotkey Poller service
7> Change the Startup type dropdown menu from Automatic to Manual
8> Left click OK
9> Re-boot the machine

I believe this service is useless. With the service disabled, all keyboard hotkeys still work. Fn+F8 still switches between LCD and external CRT. Fn + Up Arrow or Down arrow still change brightness level. System still responds to closing the laptop.

If the ATI Hotkey Poller service is manually started from the Services Manager, only one copy starts and the typing problem does not manifest.

Do not replace your laptop battery to solve this problem. A brand new battery causes the same problems.

DevonHartigan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm have the same problem with the new Dell Alienware m15x.

And I experienced it from day 1 with a brand new batteri. And in two different OS's - windows vista 64bit and windows 7 64 bit.

I have no Ati Hotkey Poller running in the background.

Unplugged = lag. Plugged in= no lag.

With my USB keyboard there is no lag whatsoever both unplugged and plugged in.

Really shitty, because it makes textediting a HUGE pain when on the battery. And carrying a usb keyboard around with you, kind of beats the purpose of having a laptop.

G

Ive been tearing my hair out the last two weeks with this and wish Id read here first before Id offloaded all my files, made sure I had found my software discs and then ran the dell rebuild programme only to find no change!. Battery removal seems to have cured my problem. Re boot was a bit problematic a time or two though but sems to have settled ok. MS Office running ok. Highlighting multiple files in explorer returned. My whole problem started after a McAfee upgrade that required a reboot. Typing went slow immediately after that. Took McAfee off (totaly) and then IE8 wouldnt connect so I thought I had a virus.

Dreek's explanation seems to make sense.

I guess a new battery on order now required !

traywolf

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I have also found that Windows 7 has a minor bug with PS/2 (DIN) keyboards and there is a simple registry fix that resolved the problem. If you have a USB keyboard, plugged into a PS/2 adapter, as I do, this fixes the problem.

It has also been reported this can help with USB keyboards, although I have not tested.

See this blog: Windows 7 Slow PS/2 Keyboard Scrolling

meyday18

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
From Mas

Gofsides thank you so much for the advise, followed it and within seconds problem is solved the typing speed has restored did nt have to re-boot the machine, just tested on word document and the typing is back to normal. will still re-boot the machine though.

i appreciate your advice!!!im relieved, dont have to get a battery at least for now anyway!!! taa