typing from the keyboard is slow, it can't keep up.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

duxan

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I FOUND A SOLUTION! If it's a laptop try removing the battery, but if it's a Desktop PC follow my instructions:
1. Get the lag to show ( Basically just wait until the lag starts)
2. Go to Windows Task Manager (Ctrl + alt + delete )
3. Get in the Processes tab and click on the tab that says CPU ( This will sort the processes by CPU usage)
4. Start typing in any program ( I used my Internet Explorer)
5. One process should get more CPU than it usually uses (For me, it was Isass and used 15 CPU)
6. Try to end it, if it can't be done google the process and check for removal procedure.
7. Now your keyboard should not be lagging anymore :)

*Protip* If your problem is Isass.exe like mine was use Avira AntiVir to destroy it, it is free and done really well with cleaning my PC. Also check for Isass.exe's User Name if it says SYSTEM it is not a virus, but if it says (your username here) It is a virus!

Greetings Dusan.

tstaples

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
My laptop was doing the same thing.. and it was lagging when I typed and skipping words on me and I think i may have figured out the cause after reading this thread. I had ATI's control catalyst installed. So I went into the setup screen on it and sure enough... Hotkeys was enabled under options.. which thusly means that ATI is monitoring every keyboard stroke to see if a hotkey is pressed... So i disabled it and the typing lag seems to have subsided considerably.. there might still be some hotkey stuff running in win7 that i have to investigate but I think i may have quelled this issue.. Sweet...

it was sooooooooooooo annoying that words were getting skipped when i typed... not good when you're doing development and miss words in the code...

G

Removing the batt helped for my old Acer travelmate 4670

Thanks,

jackjack22

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Whenever my laptop keyboard slows down I just hibernate the laptop, wait a few seconds, tun it back on and the keyboards type speed is always back to normal.

Kimhommie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Did you find a solution? Mine is doing the same thing. I even went and bought a new keyboard...to no avail.

woodoc007

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014
To speed up backspace, go into your control panel - then open "ease of access center" - go down to - "make keyboard easier to use". click on it then look for - "set up filter keys" (highlighted). At the top it says - "turn on filter keys" uncheck the box. then hit apply. That's all. Close out of there and open notepad, type something and try holding down the backspace key. it should be much faster now. It did work for me.
Ease of Access has mouse and keyboard adjustments. It's like the control center. I know this is an old thread, but for anyone having a hard time with this. I hope it helps.

Ron418

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014

woodoc007

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014
Hi ....Try going into "ease of access center in the control panel". Near the bottom, click on "make the keyboard easier to use". Uncheck sticky keys if it has a check mark. And uncheck filter keys if it also has a check mark. Then click apply.
This should help speed up your typing. Hope this helps you. Let me know with a reply. Because you'll have to go deeper into the keyboard section.

a1powerline

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015

I had the same problem it's Internet Explorer. I changed to Google Chrome just to see if it was IE and it immediately stopped. Mine would leave out half the letters I typed, really frustrating. Problems gone now. Change Browsers.

a1powerline

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015
I had the same problem it's Internet Explorer. I changed to Google Chrome just to see if it was IE and it immediately stopped. Mine would leave out half the letters I typed, really frustrating. Problems gone now. Change Browsers.

richv

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015

richv

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
You, are a LEGEND !! I tried everything but couldn't fix my typing delay. Removed my dodgy eBay supposed Genuine (not), recently purchased, battery & BINGO works fine again. Thanks sooooooo much! Richard.

shamrock10

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

Magatron

Estimable
Jul 13, 2015

I read this post, checked that my laptop was plugged in, then I remembered that I have to active kittens. Sure enough, the charger plug was just slightly pulled from the machine. Low charge; ruddy cats.
Thanks for setting me on the right path!

JGeng09

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Having the same problem on the new HP quad core but only when typing in the internet search box, Windows 10.
Works OK in Word. Not the battery since it is plugged into the power charger. Laptop is advertised as having cool technology so bottom doesn't get hot so having it on a pillow on my lap should not cause heating. Don't have the problem on my 3.3GHtz Windows XP computer which is just as fast on searches so I think it is the speed of the internet and possibly because the laptop is on new Linksys 1600 wireless router and old computer is direct to Ethernet. Don't know. Going to shut off Spell Check as you type option in settings. Went to settings and found delays and speed for the mouse but nothing about a keyboard. Also changed the McAfee virus check to Ask before download updates so it isn't running in the background all the time taking up processor's time and memory. The other possibility is that there is something wrong with one of the 4 processors. can't find diag test other than internet speed test. Read that Windows uses the quad core but many other programs don't recognize a quad core so a faster dual core processor and clock had higher Benchmark CPU rating than this 1.6 GHZ Quad from HSN's HP 15.6 Touch Laptop, that had a CPU rating of only 1484. However I'm sure that is faster than my 3.3GHz Pentium 4 dual processor that doesn't have the problem. Sorry not an Answer but no Option for just Reply.

Activa1st

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
I have had the same problem today and have had this before - the solution I use is easy - try the following: Hold down the Spacebar, Enter key, and Backspace at the same time for about 10 seconds. Good Luck!

JGeng09

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016