U.S. Soldier in Afghanistan Got $16,000 AT&T Bill

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i have done it, trust me, you get used to it...it's a way of life[/citation]
most of the whities that i had seem. who went to some kind of war come back as a complete nut job.. A full mental institution in the head, Those who come back and are same, you can believe that they didn't even when out of the camp.
the other 99.7% come back as a nut case.. Sad but True.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I'm not surprised AT&T was a bunch of a-holes about this. It's next to impossible to get phone charges reduced. I had to completely yell at the lady at AT&T just to get them to send me an "application" to have the bill removed. Why? Because I didn't accept the collect call a house guest did without my permission they didn't tell me it was a collect call either. They just talked for hours and I still to this day have no idea who it was. (We were having a party the night it happened.)

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]snuffalupugus[/nom]So, what is this guy doing in the US Military if English is not his first language? MAybe if he spoke English better like he should, there wouldn't be any problem. You can bet his wife is going to pop out 3 or 4 more pepitos they can't afford[/citation]
We should really send people like you, instead. All the ungrateful people taking their freedoms for granted.

I like how everyone complains about illegal immigrants... now we have people complaining about people earning their citizenship.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Kahless01[/nom]and english MF can you speak it? come into this country have the respect to learn the damn language. doesnt matter if its not your primary language but learn to speak it well enough so that your phone bill doesnt hit 16k. stupid private. dont worry with that 16k he saved on the phone bill he will come back and buy a new car like the rest of the gi joes. what you think it was going to be used for something more noble?[/citation]

Wow, it's people like you that give us (americans) a bad name. Please, the next time you're thinking you're "Mr. Awesome Behind a Keyboard" for using lines from movies like "English MF, can you speak it?", instead bite down real hard on your tongue or perhaps crawl back under your bridge.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
"While he should have realized that $4.95 a month was probably too good to be true, he is a young soldier with minimal experience with phone plans or overseas travel,"
Well, I guess it works at least once. The next guy will have to think of a different scheme. I mean, you can hardly do anything INSIDE the US for $5.
Then again, "a young soldier with minimal experience" ... so he's like 16 and still on dad's bill?

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Not surprising, one of my coworker in the Navy was in the US and though his plan was covering US charges... wasn't...

700$ bill. This kind of crap happens a lot. Next time, bring your laptop if you plan to go elsewhere. My US trip only cost me 5$ of long distance card because I was using mostly my laptop (hugging it)

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I don't get it, when are people going to be held accountable for their stupidity? Say it all you want, he KNEW what his contract was/is. If he didn't, shame on him. RTFM (or C for Contract to be more accurate). I hope he's not going to be one of those "I want out, I didn't know I'd get shot at when I signed up for the military..." soldiers.

That said... THANK YOU PFC Rivera (and everyone else) for serving in the military so I can sit here and write out my humble opinion.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Well under the circumstances I do not blame the PFC but under any other circumstances I would consider him a knucklehead. $16K is a great sum and you can knock AT&T but in the end they dropped the charges so can you really say AT&T sucks?!?

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Well a $16,000 bill at $4.95/hr is approximately 53 hours of talk time, and that excludes a reasonable $100 for other monthly charges. How the hell did he find the time to talk that much within a 3 month time frame, and during active deployment? I can only guess he had an average of a little more than 17 hours per month or a little over 4 hrs of talk time per week under his belt to accomplish that feat and accumulate the what I feel is a rediculous bill.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Isn't there 3G internet in Afghanistan? Skype or even IM should be a lot cheaper than these rip-off phone companies.

By the way... I seem to forget the reason USA has troops in Afghanistan... My bad!

simple_inhibition

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
I had the same thing happen to me when i was deployed in 06-07. had att before i had left and they said that the international plan was $4.95 a month. they never mentioned the $3.50 a minute charge to me. so after 1 month, i was hit with a $3000 phone bill and cancelled phone service. not a problem as back then i was a single soldier who lived in the barracks. i would eat that bill and switch over to using skype to call home. my plan was to pay $500 on the 1st and the 15th through their online payment system. the first rolled around, paid the $500 and waited for the 15th. 15th rolls around and paid them another $500. by the time that the 1st of the month rolled around again, att had locked me out of the online payment system. they had cut me off from my only way to pay so i called home (from one of the 6 MWR phones my location had, also after waiting 45 minutes for my allotted 15 minutes of phone time) and explained the situation to my parents. 1 irate mother and a couple of phone calls from her to att later, the situation was resolved. admittedly i should have done my research beforehand, however in light of atts continuation of their shady business practices, i feel that all phone service providers should be required by law to fully disclose any and all fees and ensure that said fees are fully understood by the potential customer before the contract is signed. having said all that, its a pretty sh*tty feeling to be on the receiving end of something like this and even more so to learn that att is still doing it 3-4 years after my experience

simple_inhibition

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
bah! no editing feature. the correction i wish to make is to explain my payment plan a bit better. i was going to pay $500 every 2 weeks until the entire bill was paid off

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]simple_inhibition[/nom]I had the same thing happen to me when i was deployed in 06-07. had att before i had left and they said that the international plan was $4.95 a month. they never mentioned the $3.50 a minute charge to me. so after 1 month, i was hit with a $3000 phone bill and cancelled phone service. not a problem as back then i was a single soldier who lived in the barracks. i would eat that bill and switch over to using skype to call home. my plan was to pay $500 on the 1st and the 15th through their online payment system. the first rolled around, paid the $500 and waited for the 15th. 15th rolls around and paid them another $500. by the time that the 1st of the month rolled around again, att had locked me out of the online payment system. they had cut me off from my only way to pay so i called home (from one of the 6 MWR phones my location had, also after waiting 45 minutes for my allotted 15 minutes of phone time) and explained the situation to my parents. 1 irate mother and a couple of phone calls from her to att later, the situation was resolved. admittedly i should have done my research beforehand, however in light of atts continuation of their shady business practices, i feel that all phone service providers should be required by law to fully disclose any and all fees and ensure that said fees are fully understood by the potential customer before the contract is signed. having said all that, its a pretty sh*tty feeling to be on the receiving end of something like this and even more so to learn that att is still doing it 3-4 years after my experience[/citation]
Sounds like prime material for a complaint to the FTC, especially since it sounds like they tell you the plan is $4.95/mo but deliberately neglect to tell you "+ $5.00/min" in the case of the soldier in the article.

Irrenhaus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I dont know how AT&T works when you travel international, but I do have Sprint and as soon I get to My destination like Japan the first thing I get as soon I turn my cell on is a text msg telling me how much is going to per min $1.99 in Japan and $0.50 per text message. I just to have AT&T when it was Cingular and their customer service was quiet good.

Irrenhaus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I dont know how AT&T works when you travel international, but I do have Sprint and as soon I get to My destination like Japan the first thing I get as soon I turn my cell on is a text msg telling me how much is going to per min $1.99 in Japan and $0.50 per text message. I just to have AT&T when it was Cingular and their customer service was quiet good.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Good thing I read this, so I know to never support this company in any way shape or for. I mean he is freaking defending our country for gods sake man...No justice no peace...Support our troops in any way...If I ran that company..I would have let him slide this one time since he is a soldier after all...and gave him the best plan for him that is resonable for his income...If I was rich enough to do so..just give them free minutes while they are deployed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.