Ultra-thin Gaming Laptops - which do I choose?

Ahmed Elamin

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
I am in the market for an Ultra thin gaming laptop. Things seem to be stirring a bit since I've started looking into what is available. I am looking at the likes of:

MSI GS60 - Ghost Pro
Lenovo Y50
Auros X7
MacBook Pro (the version with the 750m dGPU)

The laptop I require needs to have
- High end graphics card
- Thin and light - basically extra portable because I travel a lot
- Good battery life (8 hours would be dreaming i guess!)
- Premium build

The laptop will be used for rendering, 3d software and gaming among other things.

Nvidia have just officially announced the 860M GPU which is based on Maxwell. It has a 30-40 TDP so should draw less power meaning an increase in battery life right?
The manufacturers of the laptops I've mentioned are waiting on Maxwell's release so as to release their laptops.

So basically I'm here to ask if anybody knows anything about these laptops or others that I should consider. I am looking for information on which is better, which would you choose and why?

Oh and the release dates if you know - I can't find them anywhere! :S

What does everyone recommend?
Thank You in advance everyone! :D

(PS - when would apple refresh its current rMBP to update to the 860M GPU - would they even do that?)

eliakevin

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
me too, i am also looking for a new gaming laptop. MSI GS60 Ghost and lenovo sound sooooo niiicceee. Especially lenovo if they indeed priced at 1000.
Does anyone know the date release?

eliakevin

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

It's beyoonndd my price range, too expensive. When i am gaming, i'll play most likely near a socket so battery power isn't really a deal breaker for me as long as it is still sensible.