Ultrabook versus Tablet

tmonacelli

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hello,

I have relatively set considerations for my next portable computer. 8 hour battery, touch screen, windows 8, 4 gb ram, 50 gb ssd. After that, I don't really care. There are dozens of products that will include some of these specs, I haven't found one that matches all. Does anyone know?

--Edit--

I should add that I am not looking to do any gaming on this (nothing I couldn't do on my chrome browser anyway). I need something to write on (either microsoft word or open office) watch movies (being able to use XBMC would be a plus), and surf the internet. The Surface (windows rt) looks promising but I don't really want to wait around for Spotify and a few other apps to make it over.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
1) My asus TF700 will do what you indicated (Has a very good touch screen).
The $499 one comes with just 32 gigs storage, but a 32 gig micro SD card easily takes that to 64 gigs. I also bought the detachable keyboard. This adds extra battery time and you can slip a 64 gig SD card in it and/or use a 64 gig thumbdrive (have both).

It surfs the web, can do email, I can open both word and excel docs, and it plays movies - I convert my DVDs and blueray disks and stick them on either the SD card or the Thumb drive. Great battery life as I can watch a couple of movies while on a plane.

Ultrabook would be the way to go if you want a larger screen, Or more Horsepower (but none of what you indicated as usage requires more Horsepower) - but for a larger quality touch screen you will Pay for it!!!
Not a lover of Windows 8, haven't used Windows RT, But then android has been out much longer.

cl-scott

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
At the risk of sounding like I'm spamming, about a week ago I got to play with an Asus Taichi unit for a few minutes. It sort of lets you split the difference between a tablet and ultrabook.

I don't know when they will be going on sale, or anything like that, but it might be something worth looking into.

Pyree

Distinguished

No, unfortunately we can't ban you for endorsing ASUS product because you are the official ASUS rep :( :D