Ultrabook's Hard Drive & Processor Replacement

Laptopdummy1

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I searched the forums for this question, but I didn't see it - apologies if this is a duplicate.

I have a n Asus Ultrabook with an i5 core processor (if that helps anything). Basically, I want to upgrade my processor to at least an i7 and replace my current hard drive completely, preferably with an SSD hybrid. Can this even be done? Should I just buy a new laptop to achieve this? And, finally, what are cost estimates; just ballpark figures. Refer to my username when face-palming after reading this, tech geniuses. (I have my reasons for doing this, please don't just tell me it's not worth it/I should reconsider.) Thank you!!

Solution
The hard drive for sure can be done. Replacing a hard drive is very easy, just find out what size the current one in your laptop is, buy another one at the store, clone your hard drive with cables, and swap them out. Hard drives often have "laptop" on the box to indicate it can fit in a laptop.

The processor may possibly be soldered onto the motherboard but also might not be. You will have to find out the exact processor type you have (not just i5 but i5 xxxx) and then look online as to what socket it fits in. Then, purchase an i7 built for the same socket. You will also want to look at how the specs compare as well as the integrated graphics cards, because there are some i5 processors with better specs than i7 processors, it all...

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
The hard drive for sure can be done. Replacing a hard drive is very easy, just find out what size the current one in your laptop is, buy another one at the store, clone your hard drive with cables, and swap them out. Hard drives often have "laptop" on the box to indicate it can fit in a laptop.

The processor may possibly be soldered onto the motherboard but also might not be. You will have to find out the exact processor type you have (not just i5 but i5 xxxx) and then look online as to what socket it fits in. Then, purchase an i7 built for the same socket. You will also want to look at how the specs compare as well as the integrated graphics cards, because there are some i5 processors with better specs than i7 processors, it all depends on the exact type.

Solution

Laptopdummy1

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
In the Device Manager it says: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz
And has that listed four times under Processors.

If you mean the model of laptop; UX31A-BHI5T11 Asus - Ultrabook 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - 4GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive

The problem is that none of this makes sense. On my laptop it has the i5 Core Processor sticker, not i7 (I bought it at Best Buy and I was told it was i5). Also, the Geek Squad rep I've talked to numerous times said my HD did not have a SSD installed.

Laptopdummy1

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

At this point I think my laptop has a case of mistaken identity. It matches the model and all, but the hardware installed does not match up to anything I bought/records show. Do either of you know how to find out what exactly my HD is, and if I have a SSD, without the sticker?