Unable to connect my wired desktop PC to my wireless Smart TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hi guys,

My desktop PC is connected to my router via powerline ethernet, and my TV is connected to the router wirelessly. I was able to connect my laptop to the TV (using add device in settings). Both computers are running Windows 10. My laptop is connected via WiFi so I assume the issue here is my desktop using a wired connection. Though technically they are on the same network, so I don’t understand why this is a problem. Is it not possible to connect unless both devices connect to your network wirelessly? Is there a workaround to this besides having my PC connect wirelessly?

Thank you!

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

On my laptop if I go into Settings->Devices-> Add Bluetooth or other device->Wireless display or dock, the TV appears and is connectable.

If I do the same on my desktop I immediately get a screen that says "Couldn't Connect" and it tells me to make sure WiFi is turned on.

I guess this means that my PC needs to be connected via WiFi to connect to other WiFi devices.

I'm wondering why this is the case. Is this just a limitation of networking? Both devices are connected to my network, so I don't understand why the way they are connected would matter.

Sedivy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Ok so directly mirroring your pc to your tv isn't supported via a wired connection through router and not because technology isn't there but mostly cause tech companies don't want you to in hd. You can do it with wireless or direct wire connection like hdmi instead.
If you're going through local network, set up what's called DLNA server. Win 10 has this built in.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2360448/network-storage/how-to-stream-media-from-your-pc-to-your-hdtv-over-wifi.html
Basically what it means is that you can cast any video and music/photo content to your pc but it has to be downloaded already as a file on your computer. Exception are stuff that you already have apps for on smart TVs like youtube which you can also then cast while loading. I haven't seen it working with any other players I use personally.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

Not Bluetooth, the middle one which I know realize is WiFi, which is why you need WiFi on your computer enabled to connect to it.

Indeed, it looks like an arbitrary limitation set by Windows, because it won't even try to discover devices unless you have WiFi enabled. I even tried Samsung SmartView (the manufacturer's app for connecting devices to the TV) on my desktop PC and even that doesn't discover the TV on my network, but it does on my laptop. I don't understand, what's in it for tech companies to prevent me from connecting to wireless devices on the same network with my wired PC?

Aug 4, 2018
The desktop can be connected with ethernet to your router, but Miracast for duplicating the screen on a wireless TV still needs a Wi-Fi adapter in the desktop and the Wi-Fi must be enabled.
The connection to the TV screen does not go through the router at all it is a direct wireless peer to peer connection between your desktop and the wireless TV.
You can be completely offline and disconnected from your router and you can still do the Miracast connection between the Desktop and the Wireless TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.