Solved! Unity (any verson) Lagging and slow

Coolness94

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Hey, guys, I have a new pc and it's not potato but it's not god tier. I can play most of my games on high/ultra with 60+ fps.
I am also a game developer! I use the unity platform because that is what I am comfortable using. On my lower spec laptop is running unity just fine! Unity keeps lagging (really hard lag) on my new system!! I get so frustrated because it ran smoooooooth on my old one. Can anyone give me some advice? (Oh and I changed it so that unity force starts using NVIDIA graphics instead of Intel HD)
My old Laptop:
Dual-Core i7 Hyperthread 2.8ghz (turbo to 3ghz) (Intel i7 4500u)
16gb DDR3
Intel HD 4000
500gb HDD

and My new PC:
Intel i5 Quad-Core 2.7ghz (turbo to 3.7ghz) (I5 2500s)
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 1050
3TB HDD

Thanks in Advance!!

Solution
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor on your new PC to observe what apps, processes, and services are running.

Boot up and watch Task Manager, for example, for awhile. At some point your system should reach a steady state with little or no changes taking place.

But do look for things such as backups, updates, attempts to connect to network devices, and so forth.

Then slide the Task Manager window to one side and launch unity. Again watch and look for changes.

The objective is to identify some bottleneck on the new PC. May be a configuration setting, a software bug, or even a faulty component or connection.

If nothing is found via Task Manager then try Resource Monitor.
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor on your new PC to observe what apps, processes, and services are running.

Boot up and watch Task Manager, for example, for awhile. At some point your system should reach a steady state with little or no changes taking place.

But do look for things such as backups, updates, attempts to connect to network devices, and so forth.

Then slide the Task Manager window to one side and launch unity. Again watch and look for changes.

The objective is to identify some bottleneck on the new PC. May be a configuration setting, a software bug, or even a faulty component or connection.

If nothing is found via Task Manager then try Resource Monitor.

Solution

Coolness94

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

Everything seems alright though. I have nothing but task manager and Unity up and I'm utilizing a good 1/2 of cpu power on unity and almost nothing for task manager. There are no faulty components for I built this myself and tested each piece of hardware on a test bench. I already tried a fresh install of windows and it doesn't fix anything. I tried to reinstall unity just as you said (I erased unity and all unity related files of pc for a CLEAN install). Nothing happened. Same

Thanks anyways, man.

You are welcome.

That is a good start at eliminating possible reasons.

However, continue the process by launching other applications one at a time and watching things.

Could simply be some application conflict or bottleneck that occurs when Unity and another app are both running.

Just methodically control events and you should discover the reason for or the source of the lags.

TRENDING THREADS