Murray

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Hi fellas,

I recently joined to this great community. I've been doing divx coding for some time. But yesterday I've encountered with a problem that I can not figure what to do.

I've downloaded a movie for a friend from internet (thanks to my broadband access). When I tried to open it, to see if its downloaded OK, the Windows media player couldn't find the video codec and played only the sound in a very jerky way. I know the video is about an hour long, yet media player tells me its more than 3 hours (which is impossible). The funny thing is, when I click to the late sections of the movie, it still plays the audio, as if its really more than 3 hours long. So, I tried.

1) Checking the properties of the file returned:

Audio:

Duration: 42:26
Bir Rate: 95kbps
Audio Format: MPEG Layer 3

Video:
Frame Rate: 25 frames/second
Data Rate: 65kbps
Video sample size: 24 bit
Video compression: DIVXMPG4 V3

If you look at the coding, it says Divx 4 but I've re-installed the latest Divx codec, no cure. Media player can still not understand what the hell the video is.

2) I thougt maybe Windows mis-understands the codec, so installed the Xvid codec as well. No help :(

3) Right now I am uninstalling the Divx codecs and searching the internet for Divx 4 codec itself. Maybe that will help.

My question is, is there a tool/program that analyzes the avi/mpeg files and tells you which codec is used in it? Or could the low/wierd data rate (65kbps) be the real problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've downloaded an anime and it only plays the audio. Windows Media Player couldn't seem to find the correct video codec. I asked the guy I downloaded it from and he told me to get an ogs codec. Tried it even though I noticed it was an audio codec and true enough it didn't work. I'm wondering if he was referring to this ogg theora thing? Why don't you give it a try? Anyway the file I got was .avi. I don't know if this would help you but if you happen to find a place to get this ogg theora player can you send me a message?

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: