Unlocked Phenom II 555 BE vs X4 945

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orija7

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
would it be better to get a Phenom II X2 - 555 BE and unlock it rather than buying a Phenom II X4 945 or is the X4 945 significantly better in performance and worth the extra cost?

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I have the 555 BE @ x4 3.6 it is slightly lower benchmark than the x4 965 @ same clock. I found out why they made this a x2, its the core 3/4, max 3.6 before losing stability. can over clock the other 3 higher, but dont see the point. did need to increase core V to 1.4V

PS took a while to find out which core was the problem. Prime 95 eventually picked it up with some fine tuning (without bsod).

My MB = Gigabyte 785G US3H (no problems with this one) Its cheap too, my upgrade without gpu was under AU $300

G

:sol:
Hi There, Robotguts here, I bought a 555BE last week and put it in a GA890GPA-UD3h motherboard and couldn`t unlock any cores at all through the Bios-@not untill Bios upgrade F7b from revision F2, 5 bios upgrades and week later @ F7b they included the Core unlocker in the Bios,
I have it stable with all 4cores @4000 MHz Volts@1.66 Temps=41.

I`m very happy with this, and what ever anyone says ...it is a true Quad core. the buyers of the 965 and 955 Quads are realy spewing they paid so much, for a chip that does`nt eve Clock up as good. good luck with clocking. also a big part of being able to overclock higher is a good power supply and a good cpu cooler........
ME=corsair HX1000w, Prolimatech Meglyhalems cpu cooler,(as good as it gets on air)..food for thought. hope some of this may help.

G

I recently snagged a Biostar TA880 GB+ Ver. 6.0 and yes! SUCCESS unlocking my new 550BE to quad core.

G

A ridiculously easy to overclock 555 BE running 4 cores with 6 megs of L3 cache @ 3.2 ghz stock speed on a brand new TA880GB+ Rev6.0 mainboard all for $94.00 somehow doesn't strike me as "crippled". People are having 80-90% success rates unlocking these bargain chips.

OvrClkr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
A ridiculously easy to overclock 555 BE running 4 cores with 6 megs of L3 cache @ 3.2 ghz stock speed on a brand new TA880GB+ Rev6.0 mainboard all for $94.00 somehow doesn't strike me as "crippled". People are having 80-90% success rates unlocking these bargain chips.

they are called "crippled" because when you buy the CPU it comes with 2 disabled cores. I was also able to unlock w/o any issues but that does not mean that its guaranteed to unlock. I recently purchased an x2 555 for my HTPC and it only has 3 fully working cores as the 4th is faulty.

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I have a 5770 HD..Phenom 555...3.2..I have not tried to overclock..I think I should...though Idk what to change the settings to exactly lol...my friend told me to go tinker some!

Any suggestions?

G

I aguree get the 555. and when you need a quad then you can unlock the other two cores. I have one and i use two cores most of the time and when i play games that are resorce hogs i will open the chip up and bam! crysis 2 runs perfict

Status
Not open for further replies.