Unplugged My Speakers While They Were On

vigaku

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I have a 30W Hewlet Packard 2.1 Speaker System.

I was replacing them in the house, so I had to unplug them from where they were plugged. I didn't notice that they were on when I unplugged them.

Is this generally unhealthy for the speaker, and what are the possibilities of unlugging speaker systems this way?

Thanks.

G

The worst that can happen is a bit of a noise through the speakers.

steve333

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
you may blow a fuse that allows for easy replcmnt or a reset button, but seriously don't think you hurt anything as long as they weren't full blasting then you could harm a woofer or amp due to loud transint sound.
in general always good to turn off stereo or source before doing anything with spkrs.

vigaku

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
You see, that's the thing that bugs me. Over on another forum, someone is telling me that in my particular case, unplugging the speakers while they were on is as if I pressed the off button.

To better describe my situation, the speakers were not playing any music, otherwise, I would have noticed they were on and I would have shut them off.

The speakers were ON, but the source wasn't, so I couldn't hear jack. that's why I thought it was off when it was on.

And I also agree that unplugging and turning off are actually NOT the same thing. If they are then how come the majority of people agree that unplugging the speaker while it is playing music is unhealthy, but turning off the speaker while it is playing music isn't?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Unpluging anything while power is still on will have a posibility of shorting the system that still charge with energy.

Imagine shorting a charge battery.

G

Presumably you just pulled the mains plug out of the wall ? That's pretty much the same as turning off the power.

We're only talking about a pair of computer speakers here -- not priceless, temperamental hifi systems.

G

Though your concern is admirable. You miss my point. It's not about price or caring.

It simply makes no difference to most appliances whether you switch them off at the wall, at the ON OFF switch on the device, or simply tear the plug out of the wall socket.

I speak as someone currently running an extensive hifi system which is partly made up of components more than 30 years old. They've survived pretty well ?

In fact the only thing I own which I wouldn't do that to is a computer -- which must be closed down sequentially.

Nor would one (as steve333 implies even though that is not what what vigaku has done) pull speakers off an amplifier running at full blast.

Even that would probably not affect the speaker or a transistor amplifier (which is not generally worried about an open circuit).

vigaku

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks for the wonderful responses, and you guys seem like you would know a thing or two about my following questions.

I was wondering by the way, is there any problem with leaving surge protection multi-outlets inside the wall during an event that may cause a power surge in the house (like a thunderstorm), or should I leave the surge protection multi-outlets unplugged from the wall (when I'm not using them of course)?

Also, I was wondering, is there a type of home wiring system that protects against power surges/outages caused by weather? Or are power surges/outages likely to occur with any home wiring?

Sorry if my questions seem a lot. I was doing a little research and couldn't find the exact answers I was looking for.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Though your concern is admirable. You miss my point. It's not about price or caring.

It simply makes no difference to most appliances whether you switch them off at the wall, at the ON OFF switch on the device, or simply tear the plug out of the wall socket.

I speak as someone currently running an extensive hifi system which is partly made up of components more than 30 years old. They've survived pretty well ?

In fact the only thing I own which I wouldn't do that to is a computer -- which must be closed down sequentially.

Nor would one (as steve333 implies even though that is not what what vigaku has done) pull speakers off an amplifier running at full blast.

Even that would probably not affect the speaker or a transistor amplifier (which is not generally worried about an open circuit).

Point taken.

amorfati

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Your end Power amp ( transistors, etc...) can't by finischd ( sorry for my Englich > i'm Dutch > Belgium

AntonyJM

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
What about turning the speakers on (on the controls for the speakers) while you are playing music on the music source.