Upconverting dvd player problem

flow797

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2005
ok so I have an HDTV that has a samsung upconverting dvd player hooked up to it with an hdmi coord, and the dvd will play for a few minutes then i get an error message "Display connected - non HDCP compliant" I thought all hdtvs were hdcp complaint but maybe i'm wrong, I have tried a different hdmi cable cuz one is a 1.3 compliant cable and the other wasn't and that didn't make a difference...so obviously I don't understand something here

help please

Altema00

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
DVDs do not playback on high definition because dvds came out before hd tv. Hooking it up with and HDMI cord does not improve quality. Furthermore, what you are trying to do is unnecessary.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Your TV maybe HDCP compliant but the signal is not. Does your DVD player a hdcp compliant? Try playing it at 480p. If you can't play it at higher than 480p then you are trying to run a signal that is not HDCP certified. Means you need a player like blu-ray or HD-DVD and HD Disc to be able to use 720 and up resolutions. That sound funny to me since both uses Blu-Ray light and are High Definition DVD execpt for size of light.

Check some other sites for info on hdcp compliants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

" HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc and DVD players (with HDMI or DVI connectors) use HDCP to establish an encrypted digital connection. If the display device---4or in the case of using a PC to decrypt and play back HD-DVD or Blu-ray media, the graphics card (hardware, drivers and playback software)---does not support HDCP, then a connection cannot be established. As a result, a black picture and/or error message will likely be displayed instead of the video content. "

To my understading base on HDCP terms. In your case of upscaling DVD signal that does not have HDCP encryption, signal is limited to 480p.

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Contact the manufacturer about HDCP issues on an upscaling dvd player. If the scaling from 480p to 720/1080 is done well it can make the 480p image look much better on a large tv. I use a HTPC for this and the quality of image compared to standard def dvd player 480p over component, is striking.