Updated: Price of the Phillips SHP9500 go up? down? buy or wait...

EzTec

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Hey everyone so I have a small budget for a pair of headphones.... Would love to get a pair of HyperX Cloud's @ 70 bucks we'll see if i can swing that. For the moment I am playing with the notion of only throwing about $40.00 into a pair and after many reviews and many videos I think there are two viable options...

Superlux HD668B for $41 or

Monoprice 8323 for $15.00 on Monoprice's website (These used to be up in the same pricerange as the Superlux's.

Both the Superlux and Monoprice have some really horrible earpads so they'd both require a purchase of earpads which are about $20 for the pair on either headset so If I get the superlux kinda gotta wait to get the earpads but if I get the monoprice's I can get the earpads right away for a lot more comfort.

I do light gaming, in the future will be playing a bit of FPS, some music listening but nothing professional or on that level just looking for a decent pair of headphones that I can buy now and this will be my first set of over ear headphones I ever own. Would love to hear your comments feedback on these two headphones & yes I know one is open the other is closed :p

Solution
hyper x cloud is based on takstar pro 80 headphones fyi. not bad for the price
http://www.head-fi.org/products/takstar-pro-80

hd518 is a fairly neutral headphone and is laid back. hd558 is nice because it gives you a bit better build quality and nicer pads already.
ad500x, adi700x are nice for gaming since they are bass-light if that is what you're into

EzTec

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
51758209.jpg

Ha just kidding obviously but this was too good to pass up. But seriously anyone with experience with either of these headphones? Think I might be able to endure the pads on the Superlux for a little while or are they that! bad... if so maybe the monoprices are a better idea with the more comfortable earpad purchase.

and of course if there is something better out there I havent come across im all ears... currently watching videos and checking out the Audio Technica M50x's but that's way outta my price range haha

no idea about the monoprice headphones but i've heard the 668b's arent bad for the money though i would not expect them to be as good as headphones over $100 for sure.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-668-b

you should look at the hd518 or hd558. 558 has nicer pads than the 518. both are good options. ad500x is a good budget option as well. the creative aurvana live is also not bad for low price.

i own a m50 (precursor to m50x). good headphone and solidly built but it has a small soundstage so not as ideal for gaming.

EzTec

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

I really like the look of the ad500x headphones quite a lot! I am gonna do a bit more research though on these headphones see how their reviewed and such. Thinking though going up to the price of 79.00 it might be a good idea just to get the HyperX Cloud headset... dont care too much about the mic but the fact that it brings everything in one package is pretty sweet deal @ less than 70 bucks and it's been given some very positive reviews.

Have a lot of plans my setup is nowhere near complete but this is the knowledge gathering part i guess before the purchase of headphones :p

EzTec

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Hey SSDX yea the Hyperx's are definitely a option here for some reason I am not feeling the Senheiser's though dont know why...

Lemme ask you something are you familiar with the Phillips SHP9500 I found a video about it and couldn't stop looking for other reviews, content this headphone looks like its pretty amazing.... Sucks that it seems like everyone got it for 50-60 dollars but it's over 75 right now lol. & I also found a mod that you can do to actually change the earpads because the ones currently on there are not meant to be changed.

i'm not familiar with every headphone. you may want to look up the shp9500 on head fi and read what they have to say. remember though to take what they say with a grain of salt as its an audiophile community so things can be rather love/hate over there.

EzTec

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Much appreciated, I am pretty sold on both headphones to be honest just wish I could buy them both haha but since I've never had a open pair of headphones before nor a closed pair I dont know which style I personally would enjoy more... I wish there was a electronic store that had a good amount of headphones you could go into and listen too but they dont have that here.

Anyhow... thanks again for all your help.

EzTec

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
MERGED QUESTION
Question from EzTec : "Phillips SPH9500 price expected to go up? down? Buy or wait..."

Hey everyone just wondering what you all think....

These Phillips 9500's are probably the headphones I am planning on buying but almost all the forums and threads I read I see people have paid $50-$60 dollars for the headphone at some point but now it's about $78...

Not sure if it's a price surge or how price changes work or how long they last but maybe someone does haha so please lemme know if you think it's going to go up for their popularity? or will they come back down? maybe I should buy it now...

Thanks for the assist :)