Upgrade or buy VR ready?

Trollality

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014
I have been following VR for a while and wanted to see if my PC was VR ready.

Turns out that it was not.
CPU: AMD FX8320
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: RADEON R9 280

the oculus program said that my CPU was not capable enough to handle it.
So I am stuck in a rut.

I want to keep my GPU but it looks like it might not perform well either. Other than that I know I have to get a new mobo, ram and cpu.

With crypto mining the GPUs are currently insane and making it impossible for me to upgrade my GPU whatsoever. My budget cost as much as 1 GPU!

I was thinking maybe I should just get a VR ready pc.

The oculus site had one that is called the VivoPC X which has a i5 and a 1060. Though I don't know if this would be better in the long run and cost effective to get me going in VR with no issues in the future as well.

Basically I don't know what I should do.
Upgrade PC? If so what should I upgrade and can I possibly keep my GPU for cost?
OR
Buy a PC ready like the VivoPC X?

the build I was thinking of was:
Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 1070

But the GTX 1070 price is insane!

Solution
The 1060 with an i5? Is that an 8400? Those together will handle it with 8GB of RAM.

Specifics are a big part of PC's. we can't offer definitive answers without them.

The pre-builts have taken center stage due to the stand-alones being so bleeping expensive.

There aren't any prices present so I can't say which you should buy but it sounds as if the pre-built will come out on top as far as value is concerned.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
The 1060 with an i5? Is that an 8400? Those together will handle it with 8GB of RAM.

Specifics are a big part of PC's. we can't offer definitive answers without them.

The pre-builts have taken center stage due to the stand-alones being so bleeping expensive.

There aren't any prices present so I can't say which you should buy but it sounds as if the pre-built will come out on top as far as value is concerned.

Solution