Upgrade or vive

Mikekan13

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
OK so this is my current system:

• CPU: A10-6800k
    GPU: 390x
    RAM: 8gb
Obviously my 390x is held back a little by the a10. But I currently run most games maxed out with only a few suffering from bottlenecking. Dark souls 3 I do only get high 30s because of bottlenecking but that's probably bad optimization on the game too. So here is my dilemma. I have enough money right now to get a HTC vive and jump into vr (my body is ready) or I can get a new motherboard an i5 6600k and 16g of ddr4 RAM. Then I would have to wait a year or so before getting into vr. Basically what I'm asking is should I go vr now upgrade PC later or upgrade now and vr later.

Solution
Right now, I'd suggest you'd get VR later and upgrade your CPU now. The problem with VR ATM is that it requires an insane amount of GPU power, even your r9 390X will struggle. Now sure, the MINIMUM requirement for VR is a R9 390 or GTX 970, BUT that's the MINIMUM requirement. The minimum requirement will NOT give you a pleaseurable expereince in VR.

The recommended requirements would be GTX 970 SLI, GTX 980 SLI, GTX 980 Ti SLI, R9 390X Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, Fury X Crossfire. This is primarily because VR not only has high res secreens, BUT needs to run at a CONSTANT 90fps. Any lower and you will get motion sickness.

The cool part about waiting until next year is that 1, the VR headsets will be a million times better and 2...
Right now, I'd suggest you'd get VR later and upgrade your CPU now. The problem with VR ATM is that it requires an insane amount of GPU power, even your r9 390X will struggle. Now sure, the MINIMUM requirement for VR is a R9 390 or GTX 970, BUT that's the MINIMUM requirement. The minimum requirement will NOT give you a pleaseurable expereince in VR.

The recommended requirements would be GTX 970 SLI, GTX 980 SLI, GTX 980 Ti SLI, R9 390X Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, Fury X Crossfire. This is primarily because VR not only has high res secreens, BUT needs to run at a CONSTANT 90fps. Any lower and you will get motion sickness.

The cool part about waiting until next year is that 1, the VR headsets will be a million times better and 2, you will be able to get a newer but cheaper single GPU that will be able to run VR without a problem.

Solution