Upgrade Suggestion on MacBook Pro Mid-2012

gokul36

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I'm Facing Some problems after Upgrading my MacBook OS to "macOS Sierra".
While transferring Data from one destination to another my "Finder" freezes for 4 or 5 Seconds.
Never Happened before. This happens after the OS update.

Give me some solution. Should i upgrade my Hard disk to SSD? Is tat worth my money? or should i buy new laptop? Already spent money for upgrading(For RAM and Harddisk).

Solution

What you can do:
1- Try to do what the article says, on how to index your machine then restart your machine.
2- If previous step does not work, then a fresh install for macOS Sierra should make it work.

Regards,

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

I have MacBook Pro mid 2010 and it is running fine owever, I have 8GB ram and it works perfectly with macOS Sierra. Did you leave your laptop to index the files after the upgrade? If you did and still not working fine, then what you can do is a clean install for macOS Sierra after you backup all files you want.

Regards,

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Seems when Mac is upgrade to new OS it need sometime to index files which is like arrange files so it can knows where every file exist. This file indexing help to speed up laptop, so these freezing you are facing should disappear after this process is done.

This article explain how to force that instead of waiting: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201716

Regards,

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

What you can do:
1- Try to do what the article says, on how to index your machine then restart your machine.
2- If previous step does not work, then a fresh install for macOS Sierra should make it work.

Regards,

Solution

grmnlxndr

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Regarding upgrading to a SSD, it is very recommended. You should consider that because the speed (boot times, application opening times, etc) improvement is very noticeable. Also upgrading RAM to at least 8GB (or why not 16GB) is great. You could make your Macbook very capable for a few years more.

Regards

gokul36

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Already Did upgrade on my RAM

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

Hi,

Check under Activity monitor if there are 2 process (mds, mds_stores), if you find them then the index process is not done yet and better to leave your laptop until they are done. Note the more files you have the more time it will take.

If you can't find them then a fresh install is better at this point. As for the SSD there is a video on CNET upgrading to SSD and according to them it improved the performance but I think in your case it is different as it seems OS problem.

Regards,

gokul36

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Thanks IceMyth ... Today i did a fresh OS Installation. Now, my MacBook s good as NEW
Thanks for ur help

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

You are welcome, I am glad I was able to help :)

TRENDING THREADS