Solved! Upgrade to SSD not going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
So i'm guiding myself to do the whole upgrade to SSD process with this guide https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ssd-upgrade-tutorial

I'm on the step where I have to shrink my HDD, i'm not even sure if this is necessary because this guide is kind of obscured to me. But anyway every time I try to clone my 1TB HDD to the 120 GB SSD is says that there's not enough space and it only clones 4 partitions out of 6. I only have 48 GB of used space in the HDD so I don't understand why it says that 120 GB is not enough to clone. After I shrunk the only partitions that it allows me to shrink through Disk Management my HDD has 422 GB free space out of 470 GB.

I wish i could post some screenshots to make it easier but i don't see an option to do that here so here's what's happening. There's four partitions that were cloned and two that weren't because space. Btw i'm using Macrium Reflect to clone. These are the four partitions successfully cloned to the SSD

1. System(none). NTFS Primary. 601.3 MB. 1024 MB
2. No name. Fat 32(LBA) Primary. 49.4 MB. 100 MB
3. None. (none). NTFS Primary. 14.3 MB. 128 MB
4. Drive (auto). NTFS Primary 47.96 GB. 110.57 GB
After that is says "Not all copied. Insufficient space"

The two not cloned files still in the HDD are...

5. (None) NTFS Primary. 518.9 MB. 986 MB.
6. Recovery(none). NTFS Primary. 8.40 GB. 9.34 GB

To me this makes no sense. Why does the 4th partitions show those huge numbers? I'm so confused. Can i just clone the SSD leaving the 5th and 6th partition uncloned? What do i have to do here...Buy a bigger SSD? Thanks in advance.:??:

Solution
I believe this issue comes from the order in which these are being written to the drive.

Unselect the 8.4GB Recovery partition. That's the Factory Restore partition...you don't need it.

Lutfij

Splendid
I would kindly ask you to not clone your OS drive at all. If anything, make sure your critical content is backed up on portable storage device and simply add the SSD to your system, use a bootable USB installer to install your OS from scratch.

For one thing, you didn't include the make and model of your laptop. You also didn't mention the make and model of your SSD.

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5356 running Win 10 and the SSD is Crucial BX300. I just though that's what I had to do so that's why i'm using that guide unfotunately

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
I tried to but I don't see how to post a screenshot. the options here in the site asks for a URL but I can't get one from a screenshot. I don't see a browse option anywhere.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You need to Upload that image you saved to an image hosting site. I use imgur.com.
Post the link here.

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
https://imgur.com/4cbSazv
Ok, thank you for letting me know about that. I hope this is the picture that you asked for. The shaded out area appeared after I shrunk the only partition that allows me to shrink it and then 5th and 6th were not clone due to insufficient space as the message states right next to the exclamation mark.

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018

Just did but then the 5th partition didn't clone because of the same insufficient space. Is it possible to delete that one as well?

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
Everything is fine now. I just did what I should have done since the very beginning-I followed Crucial's intructions that came with the SSD. That Macrium Reflect program complicated everything so I think it is utter uselessness. Thanks for trying to help

USAFRet

Illustrious

Well, I use Macrium all the time, with no issues.

rustedmetal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2018
really? guess I was just doing something wrong but anyway... I spoke two soon. The PC was working fine up until the third time I had to use it...then it didn't want to boot. I'll just attempt to clone the SSD again and if that doesn't work i'll just return it and stay with the HDD installed. Boy. What a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.