Upgrading a 7 year-old Home Theater just because it's old?

2JZGTE

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Hi all

Currently building a house and moving out in a few months, I'm thinking about selling our old Panasonic 500W 5.1 Surround Sound system (model SAPT-670, but it was purchased in 2009). It still works perfectly and we're satisfied with the setup.
I'm wondering if it's worth it to sell and upgrade to get some newer features. I haven't followed the news and new releases, but how have things evolved since 7 years? Any notable technologies I shouldn't skip?

Thanks.

Newer systems almost certainly have Blu-Ray capabilities and probably newer HDMI/DisplayPort connections for higher resolution displays. If you're not changing out any other A/V equipment, then I don't see any reason to upgrade, except for maybe Blu-Ray.

-Wolf sends

^Agree with them, no need to switch just because they are old if it fulfills your need. Just wire your new place properly and if the new decor crashes with the Panasonic, well then u can switch then. There is no advantage of doing this sooner rather than later.

2JZGTE

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Thanks for the quick answers. The only problem I have with the system is there's only one HDMI input and one optical input. I guess that's the only reason I would have changed the system.

I guess the wiring is the same for old and new systems (16 gauge copper)? So I can wire my system now and upgrade without problem just by unplugging/replugging speakers?

Reason to stay away from stuff labeled "home theater." This label is a dead give-away for all-in-one systems, but LIMITED as you found out.

I guess the wiring is the same for old and new systems (16 gauge copper)? So I can wire my system now and upgrade without problem just by unplugging/replugging speakers?
Yes.