Solved! Upgrading my computer audio setup

Geral

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
Hello guys!

So i want to step up my audio setup. I want it to be work for everything, from gaming to listening to music to movies. I used to play a lot, but now a days i mostly listen tu music while working, so music will be the first priority, but i would still like to have a great all around setup.

Ive been reading and searching a lot and come up with this setup that im ok for the price.

Upgraded Setup:

Schiit Stack (Modi 2 +Magni 3) > Sennheiser HD 600

What do you think? What would you change for the price? What suggestions do you have?

Edit: Meant the HD 600

Solution

HD 650s would likely be better for jazz and rock they have a warmer sound. Or maybe Beyerdynamic DT 880s, never tried them myself but I hear they have good low end and mids.

It's really hard to say, sound is very subjective. If you have some kind of audio store near you the best idea would be to try out a few sets before you buy. What I like may not be what you like and since this is your first pair of good headphones you may not even know what you like. HD600s I would say are an acquired taste, they are thoroughly comfortable to wear and thoroughly comfortable to listen to for...

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
I have pretty much the exact setup minus the HD660's which I very much want. I have the schiit stack with HD600s and I love it, the amp is more than enough for HD600s so it should be far more than enough for 660s.

I wouldn't change anything. Is this your first pair of good headphones? If so you should know that the HD660s are open back, they will leak a lot of sound and aren't sealed so they will let outside sounds in. Not good at all for use on say a plane or bus. But for gaming and music in a quiet place I definitely prefer open back sets to closed sets.

The 660s are pretty efficient, they don't really need an amp like the magni. If you wanted to go cheaper on an amp dac setup something like a Fiio E10K would likely be fine.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Yeah it's fine as is for HD600s. What kind of music do you listen to? Do you like a lot of bass? The HD600s are what I would describe as quite neutral, they are very clear and crisp with tight controlled bass, but not a ton of it. If you like bass heavy headphones you may want to look elsewhere, I personally think the HD600s have just the right amount of bass for gaming and the music I listen to.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

HD 650s would likely be better for jazz and rock they have a warmer sound. Or maybe Beyerdynamic DT 880s, never tried them myself but I hear they have good low end and mids.

It's really hard to say, sound is very subjective. If you have some kind of audio store near you the best idea would be to try out a few sets before you buy. What I like may not be what you like and since this is your first pair of good headphones you may not even know what you like. HD600s I would say are an acquired taste, they are thoroughly comfortable to wear and thoroughly comfortable to listen to for extended periods of time. However I wouldn't call them exciting, they are neutral and precise, they play music they way it was recorded and don't really color it at all.

Solution

Geral

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
Thats what i read everywhere. It should sound as it is supposed to sound. I cant go to an audio store here, cause there is none. So im going to buy online.

I know open back headphones are an acquire taste, and im willing to invest to know that sound. I figured if im
going to buy an open back headphone, why not buy the legendary HD 600, the headphone all the other headphones are compared to.

Thanks for your answers, and your absolotuly right about everything. Its all too subjective, nevertheless would you think the HD 600 are a good place to start this audiophile journey?

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

I started with open back HD 558s and those blew me away. So yeah go ahead and start with the 600s, I highly doubt you will be disappointed.

Geral

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
That's what i thought, so i suppose it will be great for me. Ill be having then the same exact setup as you, and yes, i plan to use the HD 600 on a quite room so i dont disturb (or get disturbed) anyone.

How about for gaming? how do you feel the HD 600 are for gaming?