USB device not recognized - Toshiba Laptop/iPod Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

modfather

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Hi Folks,

I'm desperately hoping that someone can help me:

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386 laptop, running Vista, that has been working great (slow, but great). It's really only primarily used for web surfing, and with iTunes (it's my daughter's). Here's what's happening:

Last Friday night, I was shocked to find out that this laptop only came with 512 MB RAM. :eek: I popped out the RAM, saw that it was only 512MB, and decided to buy some new. This seems to be when the troubles started, but could be a coincidence? I put the RAM back in.

Either later that night, or the next morning, my daughter told me that her iPod wasn't being recognized when she plugged it in. The error says "USB device is not recognized". When I go to the computer management and look at the USB devices, they all report "unknown device".

Whenever I plug in the iPod, now, I get the same error message. I do get the "sound" that I've plugged in the iPod, but my taskbar pops up a window saying: "USB device not recognized..." (sorry, I don't have the complete message in front of me).

I tried another iPod in this laptop - same problem. I tried both iPods on my new desktop - both worked perfect. I tried a usb flash drive in the laptop, it WORKS! :) I tried the iPods again, same problem. :(

After google searching, I found some people suggested that this problem can be fixed (possibly) with a motherboard firmware update, or by deleting the USB devices and reinstalling the drivers. Toshiba doesn't have anything on their support website like that, though. When I deleted the USB devices in Computer Management, Vista immediately sees that they're "new hardware" and re-adds them, right while I'm sitting there watching. I even went into Safe Mode, and deleted them, rebooted to normal mode, Vista reinstalled the drivers, but no help. :(

Finally, in desperation, I reinstalled the OS, iTunes. Same problem. :( Last resort: I called Toshiba this morning. Their suggestion was to make sure I have the latest BIOS (I do, I just sent it into them for a known problem that this BIOS upgrade was to fix, a couple of months ago) - oh, and they suggested downloading their latest dvd-rom firmware upgrade.

I have a devastated 14 year old who would bake a dozen cookies for whoever can help me. :D

Thanks so much in advance. I'm hoping I've provided enough information. I'm not sure what forum I should post this on, so sorry if it's the wrong one.

Thanks!
Steve

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
You checked the Ipods work fine in another computer?

In my experience "Unknown Device" is a problem with the device (usually power problem, sometimes cable) and not the computer.

modfather

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Hi Dwellman, thanks for the response! Yeah, I plugged the same ipod(s) into my desktop, and they worked great. I do wonder what would happen if I uninstalled iTunes, and then plugged it in. Would it recognize it as a flash drive? I kind of doubt it...

cryptocrystal

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
modfather, did u try dwellman's last solution.
please somebody help.
cause i am also having the same strange problem.
other usb devices like usb mouse and usb bluetooth adapter is working.
but, usb flash drive or usb portable hard disk (i.e. usb mass storage device) is not working !

G

restart the ipod by holding the centre button and menu at the same time and it should come up maybe not first time so keep trying

G

I had the same problem with my gf ipod last week, in windows XP

i removed the usb driver while the ipod was plugged in, removed the ipod, deleted itunes, reinstalled itunes, then put ipod into disk mode then connected to pc and now it works fine again

Pman

cpaiva

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Well...the problem is definetly with IPOD-Itunes. For example this computer's mouse stalls, jumps ahead or will just shut off whenever Itunes is in the USB port and associated tasks operating. A quick fix for my computer work (when my sixteen year old is at school) is merely to delete hs IPOD-Itunes tasks form Windows Task Manager. Then the mouse works and I may continue. On the other hand removing the USB driver while IPOD remains in the USB port; followed by removing Itunes from the system entirely, then reinstalling Itunes (as the previous reply stated) may actually fix the problem. However the problem remains a partially incompatible Itunes software issue and MUST be eventually fixed by IPOD-Itunes. Hope this provides some insight and help. Please note this is a prevalent problem as seen by the many complaints concerning IPOD-Itunes on the net.

DeW itt right

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Any update on this? I have the same laptop, only EVERY USB device gives the same message. Tried wired mouse, wireless keyboard/mouse set, & flash drive. Performed fresh re-installation of Vista, nothing has helped...

panku

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

SAME HERE. ACCORDING TO ASUS, I NEED TO BACK UP MY COMPUTER AND DO A FULL SYSTEM RECOVERY, SOMETHING ABOUT MICROSOFT UPDATE, BUT I'M WONDERING IF THERE'S ANOTHER WAY TO FIX THE ISSUE WITHOUT HAVING TO BACK-UP ALL MY DATA BEFOREHAND BECAUSE I'M TIGHT ON CASH RIGHT NOW. THANKS. (YEAH, USB MOUSE, USB TRACKBALL MOUSE, USB FLASH DRIVE, USB MP3 PLAYER, USB ANYTHING DOESN'T WORK) If reinstallation of Vista doesn't work, I don't think I'll try to do a full recovery. I'm hoping Microsoft releases a fix for this, then.

DeW itt right

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Are they saying a Microsoft update caused the problem or an update is needed to fix the problem? My laptop was fully up to date when it started. I've since done a fresh re-installation of Vista and still not fixed so it definitely seems to be a hardware issue...

panku

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
They told me not to not set updates to automatic so that would mean the updates themselves tend to mess up your system. I've had like ... 4 updates? (different sessions) since Wednesday, and since then, my USB ports are dead.

orihippo

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I have the same computer, same problem all 4 usb, and I know it is updates problem. if anyone has a clue please let me know orihippo at gmail dot com

G

Hello , Steve

I have the same problem as you and the same laptop as you so, i wasted almost 3 months on this problem and even decided to go fo the help with techinician he also gave up. Than i think that i can get help from you.

Please can you mail me at wilsonengine@yahoo.com for the solution please........... :??:

panku

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I used the recovery disk to wipe my hard drive and reinstall the OS. Then, I reinstalled the drivers using the disc that came with my laptop; now, everything works fine.

chimp

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
I'm having the same problem, too!

It's with my Philips USB External Hard Drive, except my iPhone works just fine, when plugged in.

It was working fine one morning, a few days later it stopped working. Been going at this for about 3-4 weeks now. And it's starting to annoy me. The driver is up-to-date. I just don't know how to uninstall it. I believe it's a plug and play, my wife doesn't remember if it came with a driver CD or not. I thought that maybe uninstalling the driver and re-installing would work, but I have no idea how to do that.

I haven't thought about the Windows Updates being a problem... because I do believe it was updated AFTER I unplugged my hard drive, and BEFORE I plugged it back in.

Somebody at my wife's work, suggested a virus on the external hard drive. But I haven't heard of a virus on an external hard drive. I had downloaded a big 22GB file straight onto the hard drive. It was working fine for about a week, and then after I unplugged it one time, it just stopped working. I'm at my wits end...

Can ANYBODY help?? Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Joe_Modesto

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
restart the ipod by holding the centre button and menu at the same time and it should come up maybe not first time so keep trying

Thank You!
I was having the same problem with my wifes i pod. which i know very little about, i did not have the manual.
you have my life easier & my wife will be happy :bounce:
Joe

Joe_Modesto

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
chimp
As far as there being a virus on your external HDD its possible, but you would still be able to use it.
i would not worry about that, right now you can check it latter.
The first thing to do is the easiest, try it on another PC or laptop.
it could be the cable, i had a friend who had a brand printer & cable & failed about a week later.
if you can try another cable.
It could be a driver issue. but ill need to know the model of the drive & your Operating system
to help with that.
I had a quick look on the internet & there some other people with exactly the same problem as you.
which means you have not done anything wrong & its a common problem.
without any more details on your device, i cannot really help. sorry
but you could try this liknk, its the Philips web site, click on ask Phyllis & follow the directions.

http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog/products.jsp;jsessionid=223C4A438443F7CA18D16C7665401A5E.app106-drp1?_dyncharset=UTF-8&country=&categoryid=EXTERNAL_HARD_DISKS_SU_US_CARE&userLanguage=en&navCount=1&groupId=PC_PRODUCTS_GR_US_CARE&catalogType=&navAction=push&userCountry=us&title=External+hard+disks&cateId=PC_STORAGE_CA_US_CARE#

wow i didn't think it was that long.
if that doesn't help let me know what model drive you have, what your Operating system is & aprox how old the drive is & ill see what i can do.
Good luck
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.