USB not working

jcjenks57

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014
I have a Toshiba Satellite P855-S5200. After using a backup hard drive (Apricorn EZ-Gig) (assumed timing) all the 3.0 USB sockets have failed. The drive was powered by the USB. The Win10 device manager shows that the USB has a problem. It is using the Microsoft driver and I tried to change it to the Toshiba Win7 or 8.1 64 bit driver but Windows won't "take it".
There wasn't any smoke, smell or otherwise but not even a mouse will work on any of them. Did Toshiba have a problem with this?
Thanks,
John

Solution
To answer my own question after more research, Microsoft put out an update that shut down power to the USB ports to save battery power. As recommended in another post on this site, I went to Device Manager and to the USB Root Hub which were 3 to 4 in number. Click on each hub and go to the Power Management Tab and uncheck the option that says"allow this computer to turn off this device to save power."
This will fix it as my four ports now work fine.

jcjenks57

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014
To answer my own question after more research, Microsoft put out an update that shut down power to the USB ports to save battery power. As recommended in another post on this site, I went to Device Manager and to the USB Root Hub which were 3 to 4 in number. Click on each hub and go to the Power Management Tab and uncheck the option that says"allow this computer to turn off this device to save power."
This will fix it as my four ports now work fine.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS