USB or analogue headset?

Calcium1906

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hi guys

I want to get a 7.1 surround sound gaming headset but I'm not sure if i should get an analogue one (3.5mm jack) or a USB one.

I only have an onboard sound card on an ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard and not one i've purchased and installed myself.

Is the sound card good enough that an analogue headset would perform better than a USB one or should I get a USB headset and use the drivers that came with it?

BTW I'm thinking of getting either the Plantronics Gamecom 780 or the Corsair Vengeance 1500 (both USB) or the Corsair Vengeance 1300 (Analogue). I will also welcome other recommendations below £100.

Thanks

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
You will not tell the difference between an onboard audio or dedicated sound card if your using gaming headsets. Game headsets are a gimmick and do not produce quality audio.

I would recommend you go with either one you want, everyone will pick something different when they recommend between these two.

(EDIT: I'd probably say for the Plantronics Gamecom 780, I can't speak for Corsair on their audio, but for Corsairs first headset I can't image it's that great and they are USB.)

If you want to buy something audiophile-ish, Sennheiser(reputable audio company) makes gaming headsets:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363026944&sr=8-1&keywords=pc360

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-363D-Performance-Surround/dp/B008O515CK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363026637&sr=8-1&keywords=PC+363D

I stopped buying gaming headsets awhile ago, using audiophile headphones and DOLBY or CMSS-3D was much better I felt over using gaming headphones and their muddy sound/cheap audio drivers. You can actually buy a decent set of cans on Amazon for 100 and up too, but you will want a sound card too.

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
1, always choose the analogue - the quality is usually way better compared to usb one and it allows you to use your dedicated sound card (if you should ever decide to get one) - something I would really recommend at one point or another.

2, most of the 5.1 or 7.1 headsets are fake - they use only 2 speakers and the virtual surround often hit its limits. You know, you need at least five or six of those speakers to produce accurate sound....

That being said - buy yourself a good pair of decent headphones like Grado 60i and a clipon mike for a quid - they will serve you better. And if you really need a 7.1 headset - get a decent sound card and the razer tiamat 7.1 :)

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

If he's using cheap gaming headphones the connector won't really matter in the end to be honest.

Razer tiamat? For the love of god no man. :p Razer has to make the worst sounding gaming headphones I've ever heard.

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

1, Sure but analogue are more practical too since you can plug them everywhere /cell phone, mp3 player, tablet, etc.../

2, Well, but they are one of the few true analogue 7.1 headsets out there... And as they say: "In the Country of the Blind the One-Eyed Man is King."

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

You are right about, analog can't argue with that. I've never like USB audio, strange design idea for headphones.

Regarding 5.1, and 7.1headsets, I'd hate to see him throw away his money on something like that.

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Same here. But in the end it's his choice alone /thus the honourable mention - if he really wants to waste his money/.

PS: since we both recommended him to get decent audiophile headphones, all we can do now is hope that he listens to us... /And we can also bet on the model he chooses :)/

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Agreed.

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Here is a headset roundup:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/surround-sound-headset-benchmark,3125.html

Specifically, "I’ve never expected much from virtual surround solutions that rely on a single speaker in each can to create positional audio. During game testing, though, I actually did hear things behind me, and instinctively turned to face them based on the perceived source. That was a big surprise that, for me, helped validate the legitimacy of virtual surround sound. In fact, I have to say that it didn’t really make a difference whether the headset included four drivers in each ear or just one. In both cases, I was able to discern where sounds were coming from more effectively.

In order to be sure it wasn't just placebo, I put a number of people in front of a PC with each headset, blindfolded and facing away from the screen. Everyone could accurately pinpoint the source of the sound using the models limited to virtual surround. All of the surround headsets we tested returned similar results, so we can't discriminate against the products equipped with virtual or actual surround capabilities."

The technology has come a long way and USB seems to be legitimate.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I've never liked USB audio. I've never used it and my neighbor who did ended up returning it.

I had a set of true 5.1 headphones from turtle beach (?) that was ok. Movies were good, music was ok, games were lame. And by games of course I mean TF2 seeing as that's about all I play. I recommend non USB and to make sure the stuff you'll listen to can handle surround.

Calcium1906

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Thanks man, would you say Corsair 1500 is a good bet then?

Calcium1906

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Thanks for the replies guys. I have used Bose AE2 headphones for a while now but would really like surround sound headphones. Are there any other true 5.1 or preferably 7.1 surround sound headsets like the Razer's?

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Bad would be an understatement. Depends on the person though, audio sounds different to everyone.

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I was thinking of the 1500s but I so rarely use headphones that I didn't think it justified the cost so I just went with cheap Logitechs. My try them down the line (or the 1300s since I have a 5.1 sound card).

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Bose AE2 - those are way better headphones than most of the gaming headphones you can get your hands on, which kinda changes the entire situation.
How about you get a decent sound card /which you'll surely need if you want to get a true 5.1/7.1 headset as the sound quality depends on your sc/, which will:
a/ get you way better audio
b/ emulate virtual surround /aka you get the same thing as if you bought a cheaper gaming headset.../
and you can buy the gaming headset later...

ps> here is a link you might find interesting:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/surround-sound-headset-benchmark,3125.html