USB ports not working properly on Windows 8.1 laptop.

yulzcoresux

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I’m facing an issue with my laptop’s USB ports since a week ago. The issue started after connecting a generic USB Hub (one of those Chinese Hubs, with 10 ports powered by an electric supply), apparently the operating system (Windows 8.1) didn’t installed the properly drivers for the USB Hub causing a misbehave of the ports. The laptop has 3 ports, 2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0, the 2.0 ports can detect some USB drives but others don’t (I have tested 8 different USB drives, all of them work fine in another computer) while the 3.0 port doesn’t work at all (doesn’t recognize anything). However, all the USB ports can detect the USB Hub that caused the problem even the 3.0 port, so I believe it’s not a hardware problem.

What I have tried for fix this is using Windows system restoration, uninstalling all root USB hubs on Device Manager, formatting the laptop (reinstalling Windows), clear the CMOS (from the BIOS), performing a hard reset of the laptop (using this guide: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768) , running a drive cleanup using this tool: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html#devicecleanup and running the WinUSB tool provided by Microsoft, none of these has fixed the problem.

I have tried running Linux (Ubuntu) for diagnostic purposes, however the BIOS doesn’t detect any USB drives in the Boot Device Options and using a Live CD (in a DVD) won’t work neither, I don’t know what is causing this issue.

Is there a way to reset all the drivers to factory state or at least uninstalling those from the Chinese USB Hub? I have no plans anymore of using that Hub but I want to fix the USB ports before getting rid of it.

Laptop info:

Model: HP Notebook 14-y002la
Processor: Intel Celeron N2840 (2.15 GHz)
Board: Hewlett-Packard 8090 06.16
BIOS: Insyde version F.03

Solution
Maybe the hub short-circuited the input of the power supply with the input of the laptop and put too much voltage so it broke the USB port(s) of the laptop.

Also maybe the drivers broke something in the BIOS.

Or maybe it isn't even related to the hub and it is just a coincidence.
Was the hub plugged into the USB 3.0 port when you first tried connecting it?

yulzcoresux

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Yes, if I plug the Hub on the laptop the ports start working again (the ports of the Hub work too), except for the 3.0 USB port which doesn't work even with the Hub plugged.

In case of being a hardware issue, would it be possible to fix the problem if I reset the CMOS memory by physically removing the battery or it wouldn't help?

ryanisawesome55

Honorable
Oct 2, 2016
Maybe the hub short-circuited the input of the power supply with the input of the laptop and put too much voltage so it broke the USB port(s) of the laptop.

Also maybe the drivers broke something in the BIOS.

Or maybe it isn't even related to the hub and it is just a coincidence.
Was the hub plugged into the USB 3.0 port when you first tried connecting it?

Solution