USB splicing situation - Cables don't match

Regen420

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
I have a transducer from a Portable Doppler US that connects to the main station via USB - Mini. It stopped working due to continuous twisting of the cable, so I tried splicing the cable to a new MiniUSB connection, problem is the transducer cable has inside 5 coated cables and the shielding, and my Mini USB spare has only 4 Coated + shielding, and I didnt knew there even existed 5+1. All service providers in my area rendered getting a new cable from the manufacturer impossible, so the question is, Is there any true difference? Is there any specific way I can ask for a MiniUSB cable that has inside 5+1, so I can try and splice it accordingly? Thankyou.

Splicing.png

Solution
Not sure but it appears to me that the cable between the meter and the blue transducer is also used to power the transducer.

So you might be able to get a USB cable that would normally be used to also charge some associated device.

You are dealing with both the physical connections and the electrical connections involved.

Not at all uncommon for manufacturer's to apply some proprietary version of a standard just so they can charge more for their own replacement cables.

Sans no replacement cables via the manufacturer (per the local service providers) what did the service providers recommend?

Workarounds can be tricky and the details can be hard to find. Also worth a shot to contact the manufacturer directly and ask about the...

Regen420

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Regen420 : "USB splicing situation - Cables don't match"

I have a transducer from a Portable Doppler US that connects to the main station via USB - Mini. It stopped working due to continuous twisting of the cable, so I tried splicing the cable to a new MiniUSB connection, problem is the transducer cable has inside 5 coated cables and the shielding, and my Mini USB spare has only 4 Coated + shielding, and I didnt knew there even existed 5+1. All service providers in my area rendered getting a new cable from the manufacturer impossible, so the question is, Is there any true difference? Is there any specific way I can ask for a MiniUSB cable that has inside 5+1, so I can try and splice it accordingly? Thankyou.

Splicing.png

Not sure but it appears to me that the cable between the meter and the blue transducer is also used to power the transducer.

So you might be able to get a USB cable that would normally be used to also charge some associated device.

You are dealing with both the physical connections and the electrical connections involved.

Not at all uncommon for manufacturer's to apply some proprietary version of a standard just so they can charge more for their own replacement cables.

Sans no replacement cables via the manufacturer (per the local service providers) what did the service providers recommend?

Workarounds can be tricky and the details can be hard to find. Also worth a shot to contact the manufacturer directly and ask about the pinouts.

Google "usb mini-usb charging cable" or similar words. Include "pinout". See if you can identify some pinout combinations that correspond to the existing transducer cable.

If you can map the charging cable pinouts to your device, obtain a cable to then breadboard and test.

Solution