USB to Become Quicker, Smaller and Flippable

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Hopefully this will replace the micro USB standard altogether. It always nice to be able to plug something in when it's dark and not have to see which side is up :)

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
10Gbps? Who needs that? That is retarded! USB-3.0 is all we'll ever need for like 5 years... screw you and your thunderbolll...

oh wait, its called USB? even though its going to be a totally proprietary plug that doesn't exist on anything? whatever, it says USB so you have my vote. I NEED THIS YESTERDAY.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
"that is about the size of a Micro USB connector that plugs into most smartphones and other portable gadgets these days. Furthermore, this new connector will be flappable: It can be turned either way and still connect."

Wow, what a great idea! Now where have I seen something like that before.

"USB 3.1 also designed to measure up to competitors. Apple's Lightning connector has been flippable since its release in September 2012"

Oh yeah, that's right.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Being able to flip it is pretty nice but do we really need a new USB standard? Maybe we should work on optimizing the current standard instead. I am all for innovation but this just seems like a move to sell new motherboards/computers... Kinda like PCI Express 3.0 which at least is backwards compatible with current PCI Express 2.0 card's.

Harry Callahan

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
The picture is seriously misleading. The new connector is for the device end of the cable, the end that plugs into your smartphone. It won't replace the computer end of the cable, that plugs into your computer. Unfortunately, the computer end of the cable is the part which is displayed in the picture.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I don't mind the innovation, but I'm not at all keen on the entirely new USB connector standard. I thought when USB was designed part of the goal was to be backward compatible this sounds like a new standard entirely.

To make matters worse this new connector doesn't even sound compatible with the micro usb standard so it'll be a new connection plug entirely. My guess is people will intentionally hang on to USB 3.0 for years to come until they are finally forced to switch out of lack of other options.

It's not as if USB 3.0 isn't fast enough if you really need faster throughput for storage you'd probably just use sata or e-sata anyway.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
They shouldn't change the connector for this minor bump. Save it for a major update. Oh well... I hope this new connector is somewhat future proof, or they'll just change it again shortly and we'll be back to "every device has a different connector". :-/

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Being able to flip it is pretty nice but do we really need a new USB standard? Maybe we should work on optimizing the current standard instead. I am all for innovation but this just seems like a move to sell new motherboards/computers... Kinda like PCI Express 3.0 which at least is backwards compatible with current PCI Express 2.0 card's.

It's not a new standard but an updated to the existing standard. I can't find the link at the moment but the current plug spec is backwards compatible with old cables and devices, you'll be able to plug those in either way too.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
It would be relatively easy to have a reversible USB connector that was backwards compatible, if you look at a standard USB Pico drive you could easily replicate the connectors on both sides, upgrade the transfer speed and voila! USB 3.1

Gurg

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
The problem is with the receptacle in the device which comes loose and the device can't be charges. It always happens after the warranty is up and the newer model comes out. Its happened on two Kindles and smart phone (micro) as well as mini laptop. Design a good receptacle and end the OEM PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
@gregor
Nice link you provided, however that cable is from the 2013 CES. You seem to have missed the point that Apple's cable was released in Sept. 2012. No, not saying Apple invented the wheel here. I'm just making sure those Droid people have all the facts before they start spouting off BS. See in about a year from now when everyone has these smaller, reversible USB cables that run at 10 Gbps they will be asking why does Apple have to be different and why can't they just use USB like everyone else. They will also talk about how a USB cable does the same thing. Never thinking about how Apple was doing it long before.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
@okibrian. Yeah it is from 2013 CES, but they were awarded the patent for it back in 2010, if you put much stock in that. It's not in Apples interests to put a non proprietory connector on their devices, even before lightning.

Alex Elsayed

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
@Harry Callahan: Incorrect. If this was a new variant of Type B, you would be right - but if you read the linked PDF, it explicitly says that this new Type C connector is intended to replace BOTH the device and host sides, making the distinction obsolete. It will probably do something similar to the micro-AB USB OTG method, where it uses resistance between two pins to decide which is the host and which is the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.