User's Facebook Data Request Produces 1222 Pg PDF on CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]beruli[/nom]Does this really surprise you?[/citation]

well actually, a little bit - it must take a monster lot of storage to keep EVERYTHING about EVERYBODY. facebook must be making a lot of money, or it's subsidized by FBI

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmike_49[/nom]well actually, a little bit - it must take a monster lot of storage to keep EVERYTHING about EVERYBODY. facebook must be making a lot of money, or it's subsidized by FBI[/citation]
Actually you'd be surprised how little data space 1222 pages of data consumes. Remember, it's not stored in pdf format, it's stored in a database using SQL. While the 1222 pgs of pdf probably took a few hundred MBs, the same files in a database using SQL probably only took up less than 50 MBs. Even photos that you upload are drastically reduced in quality to save space on Facebook's servers.

To answer your question: facebook does make a lot of money data mining your personal data to sell to other companies. Every time you "like" something, that data is collected, analyzed, and sold to the highest bidder.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]beruli[/nom]Does this really surprise you?[/citation]
There's one word that probably at least 99.9% of all Facebook users don't even understand: cache.

Of course, I'm just guessing that statistic. It's probably not too far off, anyway.

I had a picture of me posted on Meetup.com, I was a bit "wasted"...ugh, stupid Internet. Of course, no one on the face of this planet engaged in such behavior before the invention of the Internet, right? (/sarcasm)

ibboard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmike_49[/nom]well actually, a little bit - it must take a monster lot of storage to keep EVERYTHING about EVERYBODY. facebook must be making a lot of money, or it's subsidized by FBI[/citation]
Well, it isn't as if a 30PB (yes, PETABYTE - that's the one bigger than terrabytes) in July 2011 is exactly tiny. Add to that the fact that it was only 20PB in 2010 and you can see how quick it is ramping up. (http://www.facebook.com/notes/paul-yang/moving-an-elephant-large-scale-hadoop-data-migration-at-facebook/10150246275318920)

Assuming 4KB of text per page (http://www.thocp.net/reference/stones_and_pebbles/numbers.htm) then 1222 pages is only 4MB. Obviously that'll be distorted by images, but it will also be distorted by the fact that a) those pages won't have been solid text and b) what they store is probably integers used as references, where as the print out will be the descriptive text of the thing linked to.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

i had an old everquest log that if i printed it out, would take about 100000 pages, and it came in under 300mb.

im betting that all his data took up less than... lets assume the faunt was about 12-18 for the pdf, 1 page may have 30-40 lines of text, so about 48880 lines of text at most... im betting that it clocks in under 10mb, because 1 line may have x poked x or ip logged in and time.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]In other words, Facebook probably still has my user data even though I shut down my account nearly two years ago.Worries me.[/citation]

You can't actually 'shut it down' or delete it permanently iirc, it's still there.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
so basically he is outraged that facebook has information about everything he did on facebook.

I do agree though stuff like this is crazy.

When I went to update a few government forms, they asked for my social security number to verify that I am who I say I am, in addition to some other ID.

The fact that they can verify based on that information means that they have that information already.

Thats a big shock because it means the government has pretty much everyone's social security number.

or when I went to the bank to make a few changes and double check that no kind of overdraft crap was enabled. they asked me to confirm my account number. this means that the bank had my account number and debit card number. Thats scary because that means the bank has access to my bank account.

anyway if you don't want facebook getting a hold of that information, then don't put it on fcebook. No need to take legal action because someone else gained access to public information.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]so basically he is outraged that facebook has information about everything he did on facebook.I do agree though stuff like this is crazy. When I went to update a few government forms, they asked for my social security number to verify that I am who I say I am, in addition to some other ID.The fact that they can verify based on that information means that they have that information already.Thats a big shock because it means the government has pretty much everyone's social security number.or when I went to the bank to make a few changes and double check that no kind of overdraft crap was enabled. they asked me to confirm my account number. this means that the bank had my account number and debit card number. Thats scary because that means the bank has access to my bank account.anyway if you don't want facebook getting a hold of that information, then don't put it on fcebook. No need to take legal action because someone else gained access to public information.[/citation]

I'm assuming this is sarcasm. Implying that the government issues SS, so of course, they know about you and your SS, as well as the bank issues your bank acct number as well as your debit card so they know about you on these terms, and since facebook issues you your website it would stand to reason they know about you and your facebook site. Personally, I have 0 reason to be on facebook. I dn't understand why people invite intrusion.

psdo

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Schrems' an idiot. He signed up for it -- now wants to protest. Go run yourself into a brick wall and startup Europe vs. Brick Masons.

This article is dumb.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]There's one word that probably at least 99.9% of all Facebook users don't even understand: cache.Of course, I'm just guessing that statistic. It's probably not too far off, anyway.I had a picture of me posted on Meetup.com, I was a bit "wasted"...ugh, stupid Internet. Of course, no one on the face of this planet engaged in such behavior before the invention of the Internet, right? (/sarcasm)[/citation]
To me, cache implies an inherent aging mechanism at where at some point, the cache is flushed for more relevant data. From the sound of this article, the "flushing" part is just not happening. The toilet is plugged. :lol:
If it were to ever be revealed that it is subsidized by the FBI, NSA, or CIA, I would not be surprised. However, does it really need to be since items not explicitly marked as private are accessible to pretty much anyone? With things that are private, I would not be surprised if there is a back door somewhere that is available to some form of covert surveillance.
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]... Personally, I have 0 reason to be on facebook. I dn't understand why people invite intrusion.[/citation]
Well said, and that is my take, too. Perhaps the invitations to intrusion come from some deep-seated and psychological lack of connection that is somehow fulfilled by plastering unimportant stuff on sites like Facebook.

das_stig

Distinguished
Quickest way to get FB to do something, we all ask for out history under EU Directive 95/46/EC and wait for them to be swamped and panic, resulting in a breach in one EU directive or another and then be forced to improve the way the handle our data.

Status
Not open for further replies.