Using Laptop as 2nd Monitor?

flyfunner5

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I have two laptops:

Work laptop: no HDMI cable, but somehow has a VGA cable.
Personal laptop: has VGA cable, much older laptop (about 4 years)

Question: Is it possible to make the personal laptop in essence just a monitor, that I can connect to my work laptop. I want to use the bigger screen on the personal laptop to do more work on my work laptop. I read that the HDMI slots on laptops are output only? So I can't use HDMI (not that I could anyways since work laptop only has VGA slot).

How about free programs? Not just a file sharing, but something that uses the 2nd laptop as only a monitor that I can seamlessly use (i.e. drag and drop windows, mouse over, etc.,)?

Thanks!

Solution
It isn't complicated. Laptops weren't designed to consume external physical video/audio sources. They are digital consumption output devices, by design. The cheap prices of LCD's makes sure that won't change. You could possibly get a capture card with a pass-thru on it but you would spend more on that than you would just getting another stand-alone LCD display to accomplish what you need. The LCDs in question would be very very cheap considering the smaller resolutions of most laptops(typically 1366x768 or 1600x900).

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It isn't complicated. Laptops weren't designed to consume external physical video/audio sources. They are digital consumption output devices, by design. The cheap prices of LCD's makes sure that won't change. You could possibly get a capture card with a pass-thru on it but you would spend more on that than you would just getting another stand-alone LCD display to accomplish what you need. The LCDs in question would be very very cheap considering the smaller resolutions of most laptops(typically 1366x768 or 1600x900).

Solution