Vaio notebook stuck entering dos mode

Wrexhamsurge

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hello, I have recently rediscovered my old Sony Vaio Notebook (PCG-505E) Running Windows 98.
I have cleaned it up, defragged it and got it running pretty well however I just tried to boot it in DOS mode and it is now stuck, very stuck! I got the following messages:
Windows 98 is now starting your MS_DOS based program.
PhoenixCARD Manager Version 4.02G
Ricoh RL5C465.466.475.476.478/RB5C478 PC Card Socket Services (5.00) Revision 3.16
Copyright (blah-blah)
Ricoh RL5C475 detected.

And thats all, it doesnt go any further no c:/ prompt. Ctrl+Alt+Del just starts it back this way again, I am totally stuck here any suggestions anyone?

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Try powering off and on boot head to your bios. Than work through and see if you can get it to boot back to windows. If not you probalby have a faulty part or parts in your old laptop.

Wrexhamsurge

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hi, thanks but theres nothing in the bios that will help, it only has the drive order ie floppy / cd / HDD even though it doesn't have a CDrom, it used to be used with a Card adaptor years ago.

What I forgot to mention is that its been fine on windows for the last week or so (since I rediscovered it) and had already been powered up/down many times during this period, its only trying to boot to DOS today that has it stuck.