Valence's N-Charge Power System Delivers More On-Battery Uptime

bgerber

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Valence Technology builds external battery systems to extend the off-AC uptime of notebook computers. Just how much additional run time can you expect from such a system?

Windaria

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
How about this... how about Toms gets rid of 'articles' alltogether and just has the whole website based on those annoying 'slideshows'? I mean there is no content in the actual 'article', so why even have it?

Also... just to ask. When you log into the forums it always brings you to the main forums page, and not to the page where you were when you clicked the Login button. Since someone is most likely logging in so that they can reply to a post, wouldn't it make sense to return the user to where they are? I mean seriously...

nigelf

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
How about this... how about Toms gets rid of 'articles' alltogether and just has the whole website based on those annoying 'slideshows'? I mean there is no content in the actual 'article', so why even have it?
amen. seriously whats happening to toms? how about some articles with text? we can read.

Also... just to ask. When you log into the forums it always brings you to the main forums page, and not to the page where you were when you clicked the Login button. Since someone is most likely logging in so that they can reply to a post, wouldn't it make sense to return the user to where they are? I mean seriously...
i'm sure that would be simple to fix. now all we need is someone to do it.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
The last slide shows how much more time the battery can give.
But how well does the battery fit? Snug and flush ?

grunt22

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006

Touche.

zenmaster

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Windaria said:
quote]

I agree.

Let's get some text or just toss the pics on a single web page I can scroll through.

Much easier for me to get to what I want.

I can say they did hit the one question I had.
How long would this last under strain and not office applications.

I would have liked a little more info and research.
How much power does this laptop draw under max load?

Don't make me research this laptop.
Well since you did not, I just did.
This does not appear to support anything but the embedded Intel GPU and uses a 60w adapter.

Let's test this against a system with a high-end ATI or NVIDIA GPU that uses more power such as a system with a 90w adapter.

We don't need to test every system out there, but perhaps a range of "std" laptops. In fact, the systems that draw more power are the ones who are really going to be interested in this product.

My last "Laptop" had a 180w! adapter and I'm not expecting this to be tested, but 90w is a very common wattage for main-stream desktop replacement notebooks.

Windaria

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Yes... but zenmaster, by reviewing this product with a low-power laptop it puts this product in a VERY good light. A complete and... well, an actual review of this product would have shown that with some laptops it adds what, 20 minutes? I am exaggerating, sure... but if they were to have done that then Toms wouldn't have been paid by the manufacturer for this review, and they just can't have that...

I mean, with that whole Hexus and Alienware thing... if what the Alienware guy said is true, then it is common in the industry that they only send out hardware to people who have guaranteed a positive review. Well, shoot. If that is the case then that explains Toms Hardware nowadays. They write such garbage fluff pieces that they must not be getting just hardware. They are probably getting paid to write reviews by the manufacturers too.

Oh, unless it is an AMD product, then they can be negative so that they still sound like the write the occasional negative article. After all, in this case it is Intel that is likely to be paying them.

>>Don't get me wrong, with the introduction of the Core CPU, AMD more than deserves their licks, and Intel should be praised... this is what Toms is doing. The problem is that before the Core CPU came out, and AMD was trouncing all over Intel... Toms still try to always put Intel in the best light positive and point out every negative they could find for AMD, while continuously slamming AMD 'fanboys'. Well guess what, back then AMD deserved their fans, just as Intel does now. Why not stop acting like Intel fanboys and actually just report the facts as they present themselves for once?<<

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Somebody is in love with cutesy slide shows here.

what happened to the THG "system setup" page.. followed by a breif description of the tests.. followed by the actual test results ?

This shows ONE metric in the graph (yes there are more buried in the text).. wheres the quick visual comparison we are used to seeing??

chasepack

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
i've been reading TG for the past few years...

to say the truth.. i'm not a fan of this new 'slideshow' reviews...

This article has reached a new low in terms of lack of information. its only little better than reading comments left by people on certain hardware sellers pages.

what has happened to the good old fashioned full length articles?? those are vastly more indepth and complete than this weak 'slideshow'.

I expected to get more in depth review on this product as i'm a heavy laptop user... unfortunately all i found was peanuts.

buck up TG!

Windaria

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Yup, what is really sad is that the TG Daily blurbs often have more actual information in them than many of the 'articles' that Toms is now putting out... and TG Daily is just supposed to be news releases.

Go figure.

scotmcdonald

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
bgerber said:
Valence Technology builds external battery systems to extend the off-AC uptime of notebook computers. Just how much additional run time can you expect from such a system?

I use Power Pad manufactured by electrovaya. www.electrovaya.com . Recently bought this PP95 which is like Power Sumo. My 17" ACER was so power hungry , no single external battery worked. I bought Valence N charge and returned it. PP95 is fabulous. Also bought USB charging cable online to charge my TRIO. If you are looking for some serious reliable quality product here is the link www.epowerpad.com.

clist

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Aren't there limits to the size of batteries you can take on planes or have they eased up on that?
I could really use something like this for flying, but I'm afraid they won't let me carry it on.

Thanks,
C