Valve Won't Change Business Model Despite European Ruling

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Those nasty spyware,drm ridden Steam apps...who will have tough they will have so many closed blinded followers?...

G

I'm going to assume, Antitroll, that you're "no1" from the first page. If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the guy one post above yours, whom I'd been having a discussion with before you reared your head.
It is rather ironic that you tell me I can't read posts correctly.

How shall I take flaming in the future, sir? You're not criticizing me, you're attacking me (which is fine . . . but don't expect me to just take it, roflmao).

G

Sigh I am trying to say before bashing other people, look at the topic and approach from
multiple points of view. Topic resale of digital software IS LEGAL. Doesn't need a court
to say that but lol that's irl :p TOS and EULA mostly BS but can you say some part of it
aren't BS? And yes yes all of those other tricks that companies(or entities) can pull so forth.
And yes its better fighting them and not get rolled over but back to the topic. RESALE is LEGAL. No business can be in business without it. Now with licensing(renting) its just the right to use weather BS or NOT that's irl. As some pointed don't have to buy if don't like the terms. And voting with the wallet solves matter much quickly. There are some that may not care but that's their choice. As for Steam, don't care how the scale go which way. I am
looking at it from a technical point of view. Resale of digital software sure but no company
will do that. Aside from them protecting their market and so forth, they have no incentive
to help establish a resale system with their own resources. And the buyer that will become
a reseller wont fair much with it also as u will have fees and taxes to deal with. Not to
mention over site and whatever headaches there may be. Some posted that it can be setup
without much trouble; but think about it since its digital now. Digital is a DRM with how it is
set up; software attached to accounts and with whatever else they have. Do you want
the software changed to active online like D3 or like the apps on cell to remove the
software whenever they feel its necessary just so one can sell ownership to another for
few bits of change and have that taxed and with fees? Its not like good old physical media
were u can go resell it with no headaches and get a better return for it.

In closing I am saying there are multiple points of view to a subject. What can or can not be
done irl is just that. LOL you can go debate(criticize) people but I think they may want you
to back it up with facts.

G

I knew it. I wasn't responding to you, AT ALL, maybe you didn't get that bit.
Anyway, what facts do you require of me? I didn't make any statements that could be qualified with facts . . . so . . .

And again, my pov is supported by a high court- that's pretty much the best endorsement that can be made; much better than any reference that could possibly be dug up. I never said Valve had to facilitate the transfer of property. That is the responsibility of the seller. DRM does not have to be included in such a way as to prevent transfer of property, which is what this is all about. Idk what else to say to you, tbh. I didn't necessarily disagree with your first post.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
It doesn't matter if you purchased the property or the right to use it. Either way it is a product you purchased and therefore it is your right to sell it. Valve, I honestly never saw the enjoyment in your games anyway, I find them gimmick-y (mind you, that's just my opinion, I know for a fact they must be good because of how popular they are) but the fact that you're company is so downright arrogant and pigheaded shows you and your staff has the mentality of a 4 year old with a temper tantrum. I still, clear as day, remember your staff calling the PS3 a "developer's nightmare" all because you were too lazy to figure it out. I don't even like the PS3 and even I have to say, grow up.

Honestly, fall into oblivion with the rest of those crack game dev companies, you won't be missed by me, that's for sure.

BTW, I purchased all games from Valve used. Gotta love EBGames

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Just trolling - I mean thinking a bit here... Let's say I bought a digital game. And let's say I set up an email account just for this game. I got tired of the game, so I sold it to Joe Bloggs. I gave him the email account for that game, and the login credentials. What can Valve / Steam do about that? And, to top it all off, it is perfectly legal. Problem solved.

Once upon a time, (a few years ago IIRC) some company decided to sell a game with DRM that would only let the user re-install so many times (Three, IIRC...). That didn't last long.

G

Valve sells me enough games for reduced prices that I'm happy, but I'm also the guy who rarely ever buys a game the day it comes out. I made the mistake of giving into the Diablo 3 hype and that turned out to be a waste.

If you are patient, Steam is a great system. I just got 3 games (2 of which are new) for less than $50 on Steam. Do I care that I can't sell them when I get bored with them? No, because I paid reduced prices for them. If you are an IMPULSE buyer, then I can see why you want to re-sell your games, but here's a tip:

Learn to control your impulses.

Status
Not open for further replies.