Vegas or Pro Tools for just Voice over sound editing

audiotx

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
What is your choice of software to record voice overs for audio files to be sent to the client for videos, adverts ie - I am submitting just sound. It needs to be pro quality

I hesistate to name software but I am using sony Vegas and see many VO people use pro tools

If I change to pro tools am I going to see a lot of change in options and audio effects at my disposal
Can I can make more changes with FX, EQ etc that will add to my library of sounds? Thanks

JohnACK

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
Pro Tools is your best bet because people will most likely want to see your stubs and sometimes your files and anyone who is in the industry uses Pro Tools, so in order to share your files with them you will have to use Pro Tools. You can do anything on Pro Tools with the right plug-ins, but everything about it is expensive.

audiotx

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

Thank you very much for your reply and confirmation -
As a back up recorder when on the move I would greatly welcome any advice on choice for an IPOD based editing software, one mic only, as I have been looking for an editor with phrase timing, ie one that allows part of a recording to be selected and its duration identified in seconds. Often, as other, I need to reduce the total duration of a recording to allow it to sync with studio video. Thanks again very much for your reply

JohnACK

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014

That's where things get hairy. You can't do much from an iPod, however, they do make a Pro Tools companion-like app for the iPad, whichever would give you easy access to files while on the same network as your computer. As for on-the-move editing, your best bet would be a laptop with enough storage, RAM, and CPU to run and make edits to files on Pro Tools. This all gets pricey, but it's what the industry demands. I hope this helped.

audiotx

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

Thanks again I have seen TWISTEDWAVE that look interesting as I only need a single track, no FX as the host studio add these, but as you say it seems I am still tied to a laptop when travelling when editing is needed prior to FTP send