Solved! veracrypt external usb hard drive question

userbee

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
I have an external hard drive that has a lot of movies and other media files on it and i watch them by connecting the drive to my bluray player via usb... (it is just a hard drive, non-system, no programs or operating system, just files) i want to encrypt all the files or the whole drive, which ever is better but i want to still be able to then plug the external hard drive into the player and watch whatever i want whenever... can it be done and if so what is the best way to do it? -even after reading the documentation I was still a bit puzzled on how to proceed... and well, lets just say there is WAYYYY to much stuff on the drive if i happen to F it up......thank for any help in advance =)

Solution
You do have a backup of this data, right? Backup as in a second (or third) copy somewhere?

It is far too easy to screw up a full disk encryption.
It is even easier to accidentally knock an external drive off the desk.

Further question...
Why do you want to encrypt a bunch of movies?
(oh wait...dumb question. I know why...lol)

If the drive is encrypted with VeraCrypt (which exists on your PC), how is the bluray player supposed to decrypt it?
It can't.

USAFRet

Illustrious
You do have a backup of this data, right? Backup as in a second (or third) copy somewhere?

It is far too easy to screw up a full disk encryption.
It is even easier to accidentally knock an external drive off the desk.

Further question...
Why do you want to encrypt a bunch of movies?
(oh wait...dumb question. I know why...lol)

If the drive is encrypted with VeraCrypt (which exists on your PC), how is the bluray player supposed to decrypt it?
It can't.

Solution