verizon galaxy s6 cant log in to wifi after update

cosmoji

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
so, heres my problem. used to be when at work, to use the wifi i would turn on my wifi and it would connect to the open "public" connection. a moment after that, it would pop up a notification asking for the username and password. type them in and im good.

now, it just endlessly attempts to connect, sometimes telling me it cannot obtain the ip adress, and never asks for the login.

i am using a verizon samsung galaxy s6, and this seems to be since the last update.
SAMSUNG SM-G920V

updpated to G920VVRU4CPH1
on august 23.

previous update was G920VVRU4CPF4
on july 12.

this isnt just me. everybody at work with a verizon s6(nobody has a non verizon one that i know of) has had this problem since the update. any other phone or device seems to be working just fine.

so this is what i've tried.
-the obvious reboot
-wifi on/off
-airplane mode on/off
-forgetting the network and trying again

the simple stuff.

-last thing i tried was having a coworker connect, and i saw that when it asked for the password the connection was "1.1.1.1". i tried changing the connection to a static ip, and putting that it. connected immediately! BUT still doesnt ask for the login, or actually let me connect to the internet. it also continually disconnects and reconnects.

unfortunately im not that well versed in setting up networks. my experience is just my home stuff, but that doesnt require a login to an open signal, its a normal protected signal you need the password for.

hopefully somebody better versed has run in to this and figured it out. so far the only person i know who has fixed it did so by getting an s7. not an option to me.

Solution
If this is happening with all people on Verizon that work there you have two possiblities to fix it.

One, contact Verizon about the issue. It may be a problem they were not informed of yet (or maybe they have been) and they can get to work resolving it and get an update out.

Two, the problem is with the router/modem that the WiFi at your work is coming through. It may be that the update for Verizon now has a conflict with the router/modem that requires it be rebooted.

I would start with the first option though.
If this is happening with all people on Verizon that work there you have two possiblities to fix it.

One, contact Verizon about the issue. It may be a problem they were not informed of yet (or maybe they have been) and they can get to work resolving it and get an update out.

Two, the problem is with the router/modem that the WiFi at your work is coming through. It may be that the update for Verizon now has a conflict with the router/modem that requires it be rebooted.

I would start with the first option though.

Solution