Verizon Introduces 4G LTE-Based Broadband Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Only 10gb that is straight up retarded. Couldn't even marathon 1 show in HD off Netflix with that cap. I have a hard enough time staying under my 250gb cap with Comcast, but 10gb, thats just horseshit.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I feel sorry for people in rural areas, and what they have to go through to get some decent bandwidth. And after all those additional costs, you still get slapped with a 10GB cap.

...that really sucks. Although, since its a 4G service, understandable.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
they shouldnt call it broadband if its 10gb. no new tech here just them using cell towers to offer internet with an antena. probably would end up w sucky speeds if youre in rural areas. what kind of rural areas would have 4g? those three markets mentioned probably dont even have 4g!!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
All this while Verizon complains that they are running out of spectrum... This is the exact same rates as their cellular plan, and still full of shit. Cell companies got you accustomed to paying $30 for data so they could pay for their new networks, and instead of keeping their networks in place until they get a ROI, they just pass the increase in cost and loss of investment money onto the consumer. Vote with your wallet people....

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
This is uber expensive for internet services and LTE is not available in most rural areas. Right now it is largely confined to large cities. I ran into this with my LTE Mifi. With the cost of entry being 199.00 for the equipment and the 59.00 a month price I am not seeing how they are going to have much success with this. I have 100 down and 5 up for $55 from Charter cable right now.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I don't care how fast it is, 10GB for $59 is just garbage no matter how you look at it.
Still, not as bad as 3G used to cost me, $79 a month for 5GB -.-

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I live in a rural area & barely get 3G. There are two larger towns about 20 minutes away with a total population of around 12k-13k. 4G is not available there either, only 3G. My guess is these "rural" areas are just outside of a big city, otherwise I don't know that it would help anyone. But then for that price it doesn't help anyone except Verizon.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
First let me say I have verizon with the old unlimited everything plan and I do live out in the sticks. The 4g works quite well, but that is only because out in the sticks is where most of the big antennas happen to be at in my area. I actually lose signal strength the closer I get to the city. It all comes down to a persons overall area and how it is setup. Now having said that would I trust verizons broadband? Hell no, but one constant problem with rural areas is lack of choice so some may not have any other choice.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Comparing this to their current cellular 4G data plan with a 10GB cap at $80/month, this is a great deal. IMHO.

For many, myself included, this would be a great deal, and would more than cover my current data needs. When this comes to my area, I'll consider it.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]This is uber expensive for internet services and LTE is not available in most rural areas. Right now it is largely confined to large cities. I ran into this with my LTE Mifi. With the cost of entry being 199.00 for the equipment and the 59.00 a month price I am not seeing how they are going to have much success with this. I have 100 down and 5 up for $55 from Charter cable right now.[/citation]
The problem is that most areas have "franchised" service. In our area, Thugs Warner is the ONLY choice because they are franchised, and Thugs Warner offers nowhere near those speeds for nowhere near that price. If Charter were available in our area for that price or FiOS were avaiable, I would have switched long ago. Franchising effectively gives cable companies a monopoly. Consider yourself among the lucky few.

Status
Not open for further replies.