Verizon Intros New Budget-Friendly, Prepaid Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I pay $35 a month for my share of a family Verizon plan. 700 shared minutes across the family, 250 texts for myself. Free nights and weekends. Able to bump to 500 texts for $5 more. I guess owning a smart phone is expensive. I just use my laptop

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Crap, though slightly better then AT&T. I think Metro is down to $40 or $45, as is Straight talk from Walmart. And oh yeah, those guys are "unlimited" talk/text/web. Good try but needs work Verizon.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I am on straighttalk as well. What I don't get is how straighttalk can undercut these guys and yet, straighttalk is sitting on AT&T and Verizon's network. How come Verizon and AT&T let Straighttalk do this? Not that I am complaining, just curious as to why.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I am on StraightTalk as well. I have been very happy at $45 a month. Bought the Nexus 4 for $350. Over a 2 year contract, I will save about $1000 compared to what I was paying AT&T before. I hope non-contract picks up in the U.S. because the monthly cost of operating a cellphone is ridiculous.

G

The purpose of this is to have a plan to force people with unlimited data into once their contract turns into a month to month. At that point, I'll leave Verizon and go StraightTalk, and buy the Nexus 4.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]I am on straighttalk as well. What I don't get is how straighttalk can undercut these guys and yet, straighttalk is sitting on AT&T and Verizon's network. How come Verizon and AT&T let Straighttalk do this? Not that I am complaining, just curious as to why.[/citation]

just like virgin mobile, it is collective bargining... hey we will give you contracts for $xx.xx per contract unlimited voice txt and data we will sell them phoens so no contract but guaruntess x number of people on the contract... as logn as they are making money they are happy really the questiogn is why dont' they dorp prices to match on their end and jsut cut out the middle man

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]I am on straighttalk as well. What I don't get is how straighttalk can undercut these guys and yet, straighttalk is sitting on AT&T and Verizon's network. How come Verizon and AT&T let Straighttalk do this? Not that I am complaining, just curious as to why.[/citation]
Because StraitTalk is only piggy-backing off their network. You are second priority to ANY Verizon customer. I had a feature phone with StraitTalk 2 years ago, and while it's wasn't horrible, text messages were hit and miss. 50% of the time text messages wouldn't be sent/received right away. It could range from 2 minutes to 5-10 minutes. That was very annoying.

Was on ATT prepaid for a little over a year (zero issues), then switched a few months ago to paying almost $100 for my plan, but I couldn't be happier.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]RabidFace[/nom]I had a feature phone with StraitTalk 2 years ago, and while it's wasn't horrible, text messages were hit and miss. 50% of the time text messages wouldn't be sent/received right away. It could range from 2 minutes to 5-10 minutes.[/citation] I have zero issues sending messages with StraightTalk and have been using them for 5-6 months on three different devices. Two were old ATT iPhones (3GS and 4) and most recently is Nexus 4. The iPhones were a little tricky to get them to work, but the unlocked Android was way easy.

MatthiasB

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
It has always surprised me how high the prices are in the US with all the "free market competition" and major technology giants being there. I'm from Eastern Europe and unlimited calls+unlimited texts+50MB data costs about 14 USD while the same plan with 2GB of data costs 29 USD.

G

Straight talk, 45 month unlimited talk and text and 2GB cap, on Verizon's network no less. Samsung galaxy proclaim uses the Verizon network get the same bells and whistles for 25 less a month. Try again Verizon. Straight talk advertizes unlimited data but the unlimited limit is actually 2 GB. Even the 30 dollar plan with 1000 minutes 1000 texts and 30 MB is a great deal. my galaxy has never used more than 100 meg a month.

G

LOL. I pay $15 a month on Ting with my dad on the plan. They can all kiss my white a$$.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Actually they used to have prepaid unlimited data until a couple months ago, $50 for regular phone, $70 for a smartphone, then they quietly removed it, and now are announcing this.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I like how they claim that it's reasonable pricing by bundling all of the services together. Uh, hello? I don't friggin' talk on the phone, nor do I know many people under 40 that regularly have conversations on the phone. I don't need or want unlimited minutes and you forcing them on me and claiming it's a value is a sham.

dominyon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Shouldn't it cost more to have the freedom of not being on contract than to be on a 2 year agreement as I am guaranteeing them 2 years of payments or early termination? I have 400 minutes, 2GB data and 500 texts and it costs me $79.99...wtf? Sure they try to get you to pay full device price but they also allow you to use any device you already own. This seems backwards to me. The benefit to being on contract should be lower cost or else why would anyone bother?

G

All these high-priced "data plans" and contracts are why I use a tracfone. The current generation of tracfones cost $60 and give you triple minutes for the life of the phone. So you can get 600 minutes for $40. Not a bad deal, if you aren't a heavy phone user.

Status
Not open for further replies.