Verizon Shared Data Plans Coming Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Then go somewhere else.... I love my grandfathered unlimited data plans.[/citation]

Until you upgrade your phone...

jecho

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
If you think prices are too high switch to T-Mobile or Sprint...yeah yeah yeah not as good of service, but you would be forcing Verizon and At&t to become competitive rather than letting them charge what they please. Worst case scenario you throw a bit of cash flow to Sprint and T-Mobile and allow them to build there network. You people who have Verizon for your personal image are the ones who will allow them to never have to compete.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
@All above

Of course, this is still a rip-off.
And all the carriers do it; in reality, 10 GB of data costs (being very generous) 80 CENTS to provide, not 80 DOLLARS.

The "need to ease network congestion by throttling access after X GB" is also still a blatant lie (most providers do that if they offer an "unlimited" plan).

Verizon's just found a way to make it easier to go over that limit.

Unfortunately... nobody sues for price-fixing.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]Until you upgrade your phone...[/citation]

Only if you had a "dumb" phone previous and had to "upgrade" to smart phone... if you had a smart phone unlimited plan previous and buy a new smart phone you keep your unlimited.

raven2510

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
[citation][nom]teknomedic[/nom]Only if you had a "dumb" phone previous and had to "upgrade" to smart phone... if you had a smart phone unlimited plan previous and buy a new smart phone you keep your unlimited.[/citation]
This exactly. I plan on keeping my unlimited for a long time.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Unless you were an Alltel customer that got forced to Verizon.... When I tried to "upgrade" by Alltel Blackberry after the buyout, I was told I had to "cancel" my Alltel contract first.....which had unlimited data. Cancelling my Alltel contract took care of the "unlimited data" plan....

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
[citation][nom]raven2510[/nom]This exactly. I plan on keeping my unlimited for a long time.[/citation]
we will get screwed out of it sooner or later. That's what the new family data plan is all about, those dumb enough to take it. After that Verizon will find a new way to hump us!

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Guaranteed once they intro the "shared" data plan they will eliminate grandfathering unlimited plans.

Its only a matter of time (a very short one at that).

jaxeran

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
You're missing out on the point, it will be 1 data plan for all the phones on the account, so if you, your wife, son and daughter all have smart phones (like we do) it will save me a ton of $$, even if its limited. I use around 7gb/month with my 4g Lte on average, and my wife uses less than 500mb, my kids use around 2gb each, so thats right at 10gb total, even if we doubled it theres no way that would equal the same $120 Im paying monthly now.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]jaxeran[/nom]You're missing out on the point, it will be 1 data plan for all the phones on the account, so if you, your wife, son and daughter all have smart phones (like we do) it will save me a ton of $$, even if its limited. I use around 7gb/month with my 4g Lte on average, and my wife uses less than 500mb, my kids use around 2gb each, so thats right at 10gb total, even if we doubled it theres no way that would equal the same $120 Im paying monthly now.[/citation]

Well if you go buy current pricing standars ~1/gb your looking at $100 for 10/gb shared per month. Then judging by the screenshot and leaks they will charge $9.99 per line to access the data which I would assume would happen to all lines but primary.

That would be $100 + $30 for your 3 other "shared" line which would put you close to the same if not slightly more.

Dont think for a second Verizon is going to start giving customers a better value.

jaxeran

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
The 10gb plan is $80, and it's a shared plan, not per line, so if they do it the same way they do all the other shared things is you pay for a pool that people draw from, not a data plan + a shared plan. It's likely it will be 50-80 for the plan, but they have to make it attracting or people will stay with thier current individual plans. They are going to do this to bring out the first real shared plan (of the major networks), I am confident that it will be expensive, but it cant cost more than it does now or people wont take it.

G

You have always had to pay for the extra lines in a shared plan. Even when it was shared voice, you paid for the pool of minutes, then you had to pay $10 per line you added to the family plan...

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]dlsinc[/nom]You have always had to pay for the extra lines in a shared plan. Even when it was shared voice, you paid for the pool of minutes, then you had to pay $10 per line you added to the family plan...[/citation]
Exactly. I don't understand why people don't understand this. Verizon is going to charge you $10 per extra voice line THEN share the minutes as usual, AND change you $10 per extra data line THEN share the minutes... you have to PAY for the privilege of using the data you are already paying for. It's just like having to pay the $10 or $20 it is to enable wifi hotspot on your phone, even though you are ALREADY paying for the data you use.

I'm surprised phone companies haven't figured out a way to charge you for the privilege of your phone actually ringing when a call comes in. "I'm sorry, in order to make it ring, you have a pay a $10/line/month 'caller notification' charge"

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
*edit - THEN share the data

Also, having that been said, I do see how this can possibly be overall cheaper. My mother is a very generous woman who pays for her phone, my dad's phone, my sisters phone and my sisters husbands phone, and she's been trying to get my wife to agree to add her phone to their account as well (my company pays for my phone). My sister is the one one with data now, but my mom wants her next phone to me smart, and my wife might go for a smart phone if she were able to share data rather than paying a ton for it... especially since she rarely even uses her phone... but there have been times when she's needed me to look stuff up for her because she doesn't have access to the internet while out on the job site.

G

It is a shame that older 3g customers are still charged 60.00/month for 5 gigs a month. I am in a rural area and don't know when or ever we will see 4g so why upgrade to save 10.00 a month for the 5 gigs. My overage is still .25 cents a megabyte. I never get near the 5 gigs so nothing to worry about on that. Verizon lower your rates for customers like me so you wont look like such big crooks.

G

What about those that DON'T use tons of data? I have 3 phones right now and we as a group only use less than 1 GB per month. I want a plan that works for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.