Verizon Ups Termination Fee from $175 to $350

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turboedge

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Sorry guys but tom has it right. 20 months at $10 per month, 20x10=200. Starting fee of $350 minus 20 months, 350-200=150. That's right $150! Balister and crazymech need to go back to school.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
$350 should be illegal. The most they should legally be able to charge is the difference between the subsidized and unsubsidized phone price.

$400 MSRP phone - $200 Subsidized Phone = $200 ETF.

And then prorate from there.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, you'll have to pay an early termination fee.

"Yes, Mr. Smith? This is Verizon's customer service. We find that you've been abusing your data service for the first month of your contract and we're gonna cancel it. So... yeah... fork out the 340$ please."

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
fuck \/erizon. I hate cell phone companies. O\/ercharging for crappy ser\/ice or non existant ser\/ices. There are other carriers out there with no contracts and no fees and unlimited e\/erything for like 50 bucks a month. screw this effing company... and WHERE'S MY FUCKING FOIS!

I dont see the complaint...

-You get a decent discount on a new phone with a 2-year agreement. If you cancel they are going to come seeking compensation for that.
-If you jump ship just to get an awsome new phone for the cool factor then you deserve to be hit with the penalties.
-This will only apply to new phones and new contracts, not existing ones.
-Zak, if you don't have unlimited data they will get you on a $/mb instead. They aren't going to cancel your account if they are raking in on customer stupidity. They DO have unlimited data plans.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
They've changed their terms of agreement which means that current subscribers can cancel their contract with no ETF!

Even if they change a base fee by $0.01, you can cancel your service because the terms of agreement have changed.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]nachowarrior[/nom]fuck \/erizon. I hate cell phone companies. O\/ercharging for crappy ser\/ice or non existant ser\/ices. There are other carriers out there with no contracts and no fees and unlimited e\/erything for like 50 bucks a month. screw this effing company... and WHERE'S MY FUCKING FOIS![/citation]
-1 for not using the real "v" and it's FIOS, not FOIS. re-reading your post before hitting "submit my comment" FTW

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Do what I did. I bought a phone without a contract. Then if the phone is a lemon, make them take it back and just get your money back. I actually had AT&T sell me a Samsung phone that I had issues with 3 different ones of the same model. I eventually told them "give me a different make phone, or i'm getting a lawyer" and they quickly gave me my choice of Motorolas. :lol:

If their service bites, just cross jump things with a paper clip and a pair of insulated pliers and tell them it sparked in your pocket and almost caught you on fire. They'll take it back real quick then. lol

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
If you don't like the ETF then don't sign up with them. That said I don't think it should be legal to apply the hike to current contracts.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@ssddx : I was just making an example of how they could abuse such a Clause if they wanted to. THEY can decide to cancel your service and THEY can charge YOU for the termination fee!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
OK so first of all, this is for *SMARTPHONES* where handsets are typically MSRP for $400 and can be $600 or more especially when the models first come to market. So $350 for an ETF is a lot of money, but come on have some perspective. So, point 2: The typical plan for a smartphone (voice/txt package at $30-70/mo plus $30/mo for data) can easily be close to $100 a month per line. Is $350 to buy out a 2 year contract valued at $2400 really a lot of money?

Lastly, contrary to the rants, Verizon does not 'suck' because they are in business to stay in business. and there are plenty of other carriers out there to take your business to.

Is there a single valid argument from any last one of you? I am still wondering why more Verizon minutiae on Toms Hardware *again*; I am starting to suspect that one of the writers/editors has stock in ATT or something.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm fine with Early Termination Fee's but I want an option to use carriers without a contract and pay the full price for my phone. ETF's are fine if the company is going to subsidize the cost of the phone, you shouldn't be allowed to get the phone cheap then jump ship. What I don't like is how there is no option (at least that I know of) to go month-to-month with Verizon without a contract while providing your own phone.

In my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to have ETF's unless they offer contract-less phone service. I would gladly buy my own phones at full retail price (or ebay) if I could switch carriers whenever I wanted.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
This really does sound like a way for them to stick it to the customers in case the Droid fails (because first gen Motorola is the most reliable thing on the planet... right?)

This is the biggest case of extortion I've ever seen.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I'm fine with Early Termination Fee's but I want an option to use carriers without a contract and pay the full price for my phone. ETF's are fine if the company is going to subsidize the cost of the phone, you shouldn't be allowed to get the phone cheap then jump ship. What I don't like is how there is no option (at least that I know of) to go month-to-month with Verizon without a contract while providing your own phone. In my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to have ETF's unless they offer contract-less phone service. I would gladly buy my own phones at full retail price (or ebay) if I could switch carriers whenever I wanted.[/citation]

Had your gaze moved about 4 inches right of center, you might have seen this story that Toms covered: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/verizon-cellular-phone-contract,news-2629.html

Basically, yes; Verizon will let you go Month-to-month if you provide your own handset or buy one at normal price from them.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I fail to see the issue, this is the consequence you face if you choose to subsidize your phone through your monthly fees. If you don't like it you can either not use Verizon (free market ftw) or pay full price for your phone.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Your contact is for 24 month, but if you cancel your contract on 25th month you still have to pay :)))))
Awesome... I am not going to be Verizon customer. never ever, ever- never and ever...

I think they will become cricket or respect... everyone will come with their own phone and that way you can get a month to month contract

terrowrist

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
That is why I am signing up for Pay as you go. Their is no contract,termination fees, monthly bills, etc. Add credit to your account, like skype and talk thats it.

I use skype occasionally. Wifi is like everywhere. It cost 2 cents per minute to call anywhere IN the USA which is cheap as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.