Verizon Ups Termination Fee from $175 to $350

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus_br

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]That's because the article was edited. The original line read:The $350 ETF will decrease by $10 for each month of service completed, which is nice until you do the math and figure out that for a customer ditching their contract in month 12 of a 24-month contract, it's still a $150 ETF.[/citation]

Dude, you shouldn't be too picky.

First: It's Janey, get used to errors :)
Second: If you complain, she gets all sentimental.
Third: She's like the only one posting a lot of news lately...it's either this or nothing.
Fourth: She may delete this blo...ops, she can't :)

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I haven't had any problems with Verizon.. The service is good to me.. I don't have any plans to terminate my service so make it a 1000 for all I care..

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]that is pretty gay....[/citation]

"Gay" is not an appropriate description unless you are a 12 year-old homophobic boy.

p.s I apologize in advance if you actually meant that it makes you feel gay as in jubilant.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
its for high dollar smart phones anyways. Plus Verizon has the best overall service so why would you want to jump ship unless you have to have the fad inducing Iphone. The droid is a better overall phone than the iphone anways. I have verizon and dont ever plan on changing.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Screw you Verizon... first they reduce their returning customer "new every 2" benefit TWICE to make it virtually worthless, and then this. They offer service better than anyone, but are greedy and reward loyal customers less and less.

jankee

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I used to be with Verizon and switched to AT&T few years ago for an iPhone. At the beginning I was so scare just because of rumor about AT&T bad reception compare to Verizon (I have family plan with 4 Phone). After gave it a shot, I totally switched to AT&T (happy). I am telling you, they are not much difference on reception. AT&T service is way better with Rollover minute which I used to wasted about 200 mins monthly just to avoid getting charge with "an arm & a leg" for over min used.
This morning, one of my co-worker show me his new "Droid" which is just a piece of scrap and so far compare to the iPhone.
I am at the end of the contract with AT&T and still plan to re-sign another contract for maybe a new iphone model should come out soon.
People said Droid is an iPHone killer and Verizon does not care about iPhone but I believe that was not true. If Verizon does not care about iPhone then they never trying to attack iphone on their commercial and never trying to raise their early termination fee which a new version of iPhone may come out soon.

Good luck Verizon, you never have me back.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Story represents two people on an AT&T network.

Person 1: Man this Samsung phone sucks I shoulda got that Motorola.

Person 2: Hey, I just got my Blackberry, and still have my Motorola, you wanna have/buy it.

Person 1: Sure! (opens Samsung takes out sim card with his saved phone numbers and slides into Motorola)

Person 2: Does it work?

Person 1: Yup! Thanks, this phone is much better.

moonsite

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
I have been a verizon customer for at least 5 years. I am thinking of switching over now. It never did me any good to be a loyal customer. They always screw me up for one reason or another.

I've been a verizon customer for 5 years also. I've never had any major issues with them. And... their customer service is actually based in the usa. Also, i wouldnt be suprised if other companies started upping their termination fees as well. Be prepared.

Of course they are going to try to compete with the iphone. I'm sure they would even carry it if it wasn't an AT&T exclusive. That said: other smartphones like the dare and droid might not be quite as advanced as the iphone, however, they do a pretty damn good job.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
OUCH!!! for those people using Verizon and looking to terminate early. On the other hand, I've been using Verizon Wireless for almost 2 years and I have not had any reason to switch. I am very happy with my service. But most people should not be surprised and if i'm not mistaken, AT&T's termination fee has been up over $300.00 for the longest time. Plus, i don't think they have a decrementing fee for each month you make good on your contract... Besides, I just upgrade from the BB Storm to the HTC Droid Eris now that Verizon is starting to come out with the some good smartphones and so far, I've been happy with it.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Tom's fails at math, it would be $230 (even higher than Tom's listed) to terminate a 2 year contract at the end of 1 year (350 - 120 = 230).[/citation]

I am educate.

jankee

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
My friend had been with Verizon for at least 15 years and was still use an damp old phone. He used to told me that he was happy with Verizon and it is the best until we convinced him to switch to AT&T. He is now so happy with his new service and told us this is the best decision he made so far.
Most people is staying with Verizon so long and never seen or try any other service so thinking this is the only one. Most people who try other services will never saying Verizon is the best. I don't think so! buddy.

jankee

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Of course I still want them to compete so does not matter what carrier you are with, the benefit will be to the consumer. But I am still telling you, it's still the reality. Let try something else other than the Damp Verizon.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
For example: The Droid is $559.99 Retail. With a two-year contract, Verizon sells the handset for $199.99. Theoretically, that’s a $359.99 subsidy. So, I can see a point to ETF being larger on smartphones as the cost of the phones are more, this will make people think longer before signing up or taking on the phone to then turn around and terminate the contract and sell the phone for the original price.

Status
Not open for further replies.