Verizon Ups Termination Fee from $175 to $350

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

To avoid paying $350 or whatever it is depending how far in the contract you are, it's cheaper to call Verizon and change plans to their flat-rate plan. It's $11.99 (911 calling is free everything else is pay per use). Sure you have a useless new phone, but you save on cancellation fees.

Ex: 20 months left in contract. Early term = 350-40 = $310 vs 20 months @ $12 ($240)

Also, don't forget the 30 day buyers remorse period when you first sign up.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Memory lane... My first AT&T cell service was nearly 17 years ago. The plan was $39/mo for 60 minutes. My average bill the first year was $230/mo. Dumped them after 3 yrs. Came back to them in 1998 dumped them after 4 yrs. Then got sentimental and decided to go back to them in 2006 for just 5 months. Nothing changed - bad coverage, bad customer service, etc. I gave them 3 chances for over a decade... Termination fees suck but nothing sucks more than AT&T. Sprint wins. Verizon close second. Neither are perfect but neither are like AT&T. NEVER EVER AT&T.

G

Minor point...This only applies to "advanced devices" which is about 80% of their phones. The other 20% (crappy flip phones) still have the standard cancellation fee.

What's more rediculous is if you have two lines on one account and its $700 total. Holy Crap! I can buy a good used Ford Tempo for $700 and install a huge bag phone from 1994! Then I'd have sweet wheels and the analog signal that I miss so dearly.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Walmart has a new $30 a month called Straight Talk, 1000 minutes and 1000 texts and 30Mb of web access, NO contract!!!! The only downside I see is there is not a big selection of phones to choose from yet.
Anyone with any sense would go with this over the rip you off 2 year have you by the balls plans from Verizon and the likes.

G

You guys can not read. I work for Verizon... notice the important part of this document that they failed to write? "ADVANCED DEVICES" AKA PDAs, Smartphones and Blackberry's. FFS, learn to read. Standard devices are still $175!

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Yes, then why didn't just state that you agree to pay the full price of the phone instead?

[citation][nom]ssddx[/nom]I dont see the complaint...-You get a decent discount on a new phone with a 2-year agreement. If you cancel they are going to come seeking compensation for that.-If you jump ship just to get an awsome new phone for the cool factor then you deserve to be hit with the penalties.-This will only apply to new phones and new contracts, not existing ones.-Zak, if you don't have unlimited data they will get you on a $/mb instead. They aren't going to cancel your account if they are raking in on customer stupidity. They DO have unlimited data plans.[/citation]

G

I never signed with verizon , they aquired me by buying alltell.
Whn it came time that I would be verizon customer I called verizon and asked twice two phone calls , when must I get out of verizon before I would encure the early termination charges. which I was told that before the 26 th of the month. I transferred my phone # the 19 and the 20 th of that month, the third phone was cncelled the 26 th of the month. I was charged 200.00 for each phone a totall of 400.00 dollars. They said because I cancelled early on my contract with alltell

After many calls and much pleading they still insist that I owe this 400.00 to them I have never signed a contract with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.