Verizon's Droid 2 Specs Leaked

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Ummm what the f, this is so sad, you just posted an article the other day saying "Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha said that the company plans to release an Android smartphone with a 2 GHz processor by the end of the year."

The hell?

G

Not going to lie, Motorola sucks at industrial design

I've been on Verizon for a while, and I was planning on upgrading to the original Moto Droid back in November....then I saw what it looked like and some of the early reviews
I stuck with my crappy 12-button keypad phone for a month or so, I see the HTC Passion / Nexus One (from HTC, a company that actually knows how to build aesthetically pleasing phones), and wait around for it to come out on Verizon.
Lo and behold, the HTC Incredible comes out (which is smashingly sexy), and I get that

Moral of the story: Motorola's phones look like ass, especially next to any HTC Android specimen or any iPhone, and I was expecting more in that department

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... could care less...[/citation]

You mean you COULDN'T care less you illiterate moran.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]You mean you COULDN'T care less you illiterate moran.[/citation]

This boils my balls. I can't stand when people say "could care less" ... if you could then why wouldn't you?

furious0331

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]You mean you COULDN'T care less you illiterate moran.[/citation]
If you're going to criticize about being grammatically correct, maybe you should use a comma where appropriate. I also had to google the word "Moran" because I wasn't familiar with it. This is what I found: The preferred method of spelling "moron" by morons, particularly that of a Missouri redneck at a rally supporting the US led war in Iraq.
Get a brain, moran! GO USA!

totheshed

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I can't honestly say I'm impressed. There is another Droid coming out with a 2GHz processor, and the Incredible has a 1GHz processor. 750MHz? That's weak. I don't see anything special about this one really, it's just skinnier and has a better keyboard. This should have been the first Droid.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]totheshed[/nom]I can't honestly say I'm impressed. There is another Droid coming out with a 2GHz processor, and the Incredible has a 1GHz processor. 750MHz? That's weak. I don't see anything special about this one really, it's just skinnier and has a better keyboard. This should have been the first Droid.[/citation]

A 750MHz OMAP 3630 is superior to a 1GHz Snapdragon.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I love my HTC Incredible phone. It's great! I use it for everything.

Pretty much any phone with android 2.1 you're going to love. Way better than the iphone OS. Yes i've used the iphone OS.

If you can get a phone with android 2.2 you'll love it even more!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]Like Borg I like that good one
"We are Apple prepare to be Crappled"
"resistance is unfruitful"
[/citation]

Unfruitful... Nice. +1LULZ

G

Droid II nice but not quite there, iPhone 4 is style over substance which leaves the obvious choice for anyone who actually uses their phone as a phone.. the new Blackberry Bold 9800.. nuff said

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]littlec[/nom]Good point, and the HTC Incredible lives up to its name. Honestly though what do you do on your phone that would seriously benefit from a 1Ghz vs a 750mhz? I can't think of anything, other than being able to say it has one.[/citation]
I have an overclocked droid, running bugless beast, and Google Earth runs much better at 1 Ghz than it does at 600 Mhz

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]coolvoodoo[/nom]iPhones are great consumer devices, but I am not a fan of Apple's "can't open the hood" design philosophy and their efforts to copyright everything in the world. I want to get a Droid, but the lack of voice dialing in the Android OS is stopping me cold. Any word on this development?[/citation]
there are apps that let you voice dial

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]gpace[/nom]I'm still waiting for a good smartphone. I'd prefer a PDA, but those are dying, I don't really need a phone most of the time. This could be one to try, since I usually avoid the first generation of anything so the kinks can be worked out along with a few tweaks.My last PDA was full of great freeware such as TCPMP media player, built in MS office portable, up to flash 7, Opera Mobile, and had decent battery life. Hardware: 3.5 inch VGA screen (640x480), 64mb ram, 624mhz Intel Xscale, SD and Compact flash slot. .7 inch thick, so a bit on the thick side, but this PDA came out in 2004 and i'm still looking for a good replacement (that doesn't cost too much).[/citation]
Every thing you've mentioned is standard fare on all of todays PocketPC phones. Talk about holding on to the past.

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Wow, so not only are the upgrades pure weakness compared to the iPhone 4, but they're taking away my direction pad. :-(

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]o0RaidR0o[/nom]Every thing you've mentioned is standard fare on all of todays PocketPC phones. Talk about holding on to the past.[/citation]

If cell based wireless data isn't a key necessity, then a PDA can be a great tool to have. Most people just happen to need (or at least really want) data wherever they go, instead of whereever there is a mobile hotspot. The use case when near a hotspot is pretty much split between handheld and laptop devices, so if you already have a laptop then buying a non-cellular portable is IMHO dumb. What the OP may want is an iPod touch (you can find the older/smaller versions for sale for super cheap).

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Oh boy... as an apple fan boy I will say bravo, I'm glad the market is full of smart phones, competition is good, remember M$, Google, and Apple are all companies trying to make money.... I'm really tired of hearing people bash Apple, Google, M$, and for some stupid reason taking it personal... If Apple falters, they will pay with market share - Google, Microsoft, all of them are in the same boat... In 2007, the smart phone market in the US was Shite... I know, i had a Palm and Bberry - Apple released their iPhone, and with proper support and subsequent updates helped start this "war"... We would all be using poor phones from MS/RIM/Palm had this not happened. Apple cannot rest on it's laurels, nor can Google or M$... If they can make this phone for $199 and give it to people who prefer Android over the iOS, then fantastic.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]santfu[/nom]nice comment. liked it. well reasoned argument. This apple thing is becoming frighteningly like religion. "thou shall put down all other products" "thou shall not question anything we make" "thou shall believe without question anything we say"[/citation]
True, but unfortunately in both camps.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Slightly disapointed in this product. I currently own a Motorola Droid and while its internal memory doesn't amount to the Droid 2 it contained a 16GB SD card. Flash memory is beyond cheap so why cheap that? I would think even with it's 8GB internal memory that a 32GB SD would also be within. Second, my 550MHz processor does the job just fine and if the time comes were rooting and overclocking is needed it will be done. I plan to have my phone for a long time. I emulate games, vpn, etc already so I see no reason to jump on this iphone 4 or droid 2 bandwagon. I will say this though, the Droid is perfect outside the flat keyboard, however, I love the fact I have it cause having just touch limits you from seeing the whole screen. Sorry, hands down iphone can't compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.