Vertical Banding on LG47ln5400?

KOTORARC

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
So I purchased a LG 47 inch LN5400 LED HDTV just over a month ago and I have been noticing, especially while gaming, that there is this vertical image thing going on, that after I looked up was called banding. LG had a technician come out and take a look but he said he did not see anything. I took a picture of it, though its easier to show in motion I think, on a grey background and I was wondering if you guys think its just something ill have to live with, or if its noticeable enough to try and get it checked again by a different repair comany? Again, when I am gaming its so much more noticeable in lighter scenes when panning, but I showed the technician and he just didn't seem to get it. Thank you very much.

IMAG0113.jpg

i really dont see much going on in that image, although that could be low image quality or the fact that its shrunk in size.

are you talking about color banding like this image below? it does almost look like you have a bit of that going on.

Colour_banding_example01.png

color-banding.jpg

if that is the case...

it could be that your tv is only 6bit so is incapable of displaying the colors smoothly. or it could be that the quality of the image on your source is low and is dithered. either will cause color banding like above.

KOTORARC

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Ill see if I can get a better image, I need to buy some new batteries for my actual camera, was using my phones. And I have my ps3 hooked up with an hdmi cable, and I tried different ones and they all produce the same image. Its mostly in gaming that I see the issue, if say, I am watching the Hobbit on Blu-Ray on my PS3, only during panning on a very light area will I see the "verticle blinds" effect. Looking at the image I can see the most obvious example between the playstation globe icon and the friends list icon if you look up and down and side to side from there if that makes sense. Thank you for the response though, I appreciate it :)

the video link worked but i'm having a hard time seeing what you are trying to say as far as banding.

i see some squirly looking lines/light on the top of the monitor (which looks almost like a backlight bleed)

as far as anything else is concerned... i cant really distinguish anything in particular from the poor quality of the video.

KOTORARC

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
So you cant see like around 6 seconds where I can personally see the banding, and I do apologize for the poor video but thats HD video on my phone so lol ><? Like to me it looks like | | | | | | | | | | pattern running up and down the screen with a bit darker around a quarter from the edge on either side. Like I watch the video over and over and I see it clear as day for me. Like I said its not to the point where I can necessarily tell 24/7 but there are enough scenes, especially when panning like that were its visibly noticeable for me. Maybe I am just to sensitive to what is considered normal for it..which stinks. Oh well, thank you for the help though ssddxx, I really do appreciate it. Guess ill just have to try and live with it.

now that you mentioned what it looks like to you and i've watched it another 20 times... i think i can see what you are talking about but i'm not sure. i chalked that up as distortion from bad quality video.

a few thoughts....

it could be that you have a cheaper tv which uses "bottom only" led backlighting. please see here http://www.cnet.com/news/led-lcd-backlights-explained/ and the photo which has the banding. perhaps due to this technology and the different shapes/shades in the vertical row it is creating some odd banding effects from the backlight. other styles of backlighitng (such as models with lighting all around the bezel) dont have this.) if this is the issue then there isnt much you can do.

you might want to try disabling truemotion/motionflow or whatever your tv calls it. also you might want to try running in 60hz (game) mode to see if that helps in case the distortion is due to that.

KOTORARC

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
I have a 47LN5400 LG TV and it says that it is direct lit LED backlighting. As far as I know trumotion cannot be disabled on this TV, only option I can change is real cinema which is off on game, there is a motion eye care option but its unavailable to turn on.

I have also tried it on gaming, which is what I use while playing and I get the same issue. I uploaded another video https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5v79MYmrdrMaVBDeGJUclNoWGc/edit?usp=sharing of me playing a game, I realize again its poor quality, but it looked like a good example as I was doing it, especially on the tanner parts. The lines from back and forth are not from the video, but from what I was taking video of if that makes sense.

Thanks again.

perhaps it could also be

However, its contrast is very low and it suffers from some noticeable motion blur
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/lg/ln5400

this typically appears like trailing edges. on a constantly moving busy background it can be a bit hard to isolate from other issues so i would suggest a plain background test like the below.

check this
http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates&count=3

and this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC9Bw8SeRH8

does this generate the effect you are talking about?

KOTORARC

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
I don't think so. On the greyer backgrounds on the last test I could see the variation between dark and light in the | | | | | but that was regardless of where the image was moving. If that makes sense? On the UFO test, the highest got 42fps and the lowest got 11 fps on gaming with 23 pixels per frame, but it also states unsupported, generic webkit can't directly access VSYNC. I am doing it from my PS3.

when playing the video, on the dark grey background i see the lines you speak of. however, when paused they are gone. they are only very slightly visible on the white background (almost imperceivable).

there are two possible reasons for this:

1) its an optical illusion.

2) its ghosting due to slower response time.

this is the first time that i've noticed such things on my tv even after 5000-10000 hours of use. if its a ghosting issue and not an illusion then that may be because that test is specifically designed to bring out such behavior to test for problems. during normal gameplay i've never seen anything remotely close to that.

perhaps your tv has a slower response time and is more affected.

KOTORARC

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

Highly possible, though one reason I got it was I read a lot of reviews and they said it was rather good for gaming. Then again maybe it is just that particular game in general. Anyways I do appreciate the help, thank you for putting in the time to try and help me figure it out :)