Very dim LCD display on laptop after Windows loads...

UnleashThePwniez

Estimable
May 21, 2014
Okay, so I'm trying to fix this guys Vaio laptop and I've already updated the "Vaio Power Management", I've replaced the inverter and I've also tested it with another screen. Still the same problem. Now here's the funny thing.. When I plug in an external monitor via VGA the monitor doesn't have the "dim" problem, but the laptop still does. Now when Windows 7 is loading or if I enter the bios the screen is not darkened/dim, but as soon as it loads Windows it gets dim. So that leaves me with a software issue? But what..? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

- Brandon

nukemaster

Distinguished
Dimming after getting into Windows surly does seem like a setting got messed up at some point. most notebooks can adjust this setting with a Function + F-key combination. Failing that Control Panel - > Hardware and Sound -> Power Options. It should be adjustable.

UnleashThePwniez

Estimable
May 21, 2014

I've checked and tried everything in the control panel. When I try to adjust the brightness levels, nothing changes at all. It just stays at the same stupid dim at all times. None of this makes any sense to me and the customer is very eager to come and pick up his laptop. I really don't want to tell him that I couldn't solve the problem, but I have no idea what else to do/try.. If there's anything else that can be said about this situation, I would greatly appreciate any type of help. Thanks again.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Well to be sure it is a software issue, I would try to use a flash drive or cd live linux distribution. At least then you will have an OS to see what things are doing. These live cd/usb images do not install unless you tell them to so they will not alter anything on the system.

This also makes me wonder if they have a software update from the laptop maker for this issue or not.

Another thing to check out would be safe mode since it uses minimal drivers.