VGA Output doesn't work ?.

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Hello dear reader. i'm facing an unusual issue with my old (Notebook) Please take some time and read if you think you could help, highly appreciated.

So i own a notebook which i mostly use when traveling, Bought it 3/4 years ago if i remember correctly and it was made in 2011 it's quite old but still does the job/or it did.
Model - (Asus Eee PC 1015PX) 2GB DDR3 - SSD 256GB.
1#
My problems with this thing started a month ago when i decided to connect for the first time, a TV/Monitor to it, Windows rapidly recognized the device but there was no image present, everything there was to be set has been set properly up in windows as well on my external monitor, tried (Fn+F5) to change the screen to the EX monitor, nothing. Turned the notebook off, closed the lid and left it running only with the external "Monitor"
Still no image. HP Monitor says "Going to sleep" the MBoard has 1x VGA Output port, no DVI or HDMI. External screen works 100% Double checked with Samsung screen, same result.

Now there's one more doubtful question related to windows, IF it is a software issue ? since i am using outdated "Windows XP" and the device was built mainly for windows 7. i personally think it is not related,might be but chances are null since i had windows XP back in the days on much older notebook devices and you could easily run connected monitors.

2#
Now after trying all kinds of different methods i've read on the internet failed me, i've shutdown the machine and tried accessing the Bios setup to check if there isn't any option related to the VGA Port i forgot about. And for my surprise right after it switched on i kept holding/taping "F2" to notice that the "BIOS setup" wouldn't work either, at that instance i immediately knew this was out of the ordinary, couldn't be just any kind of a problem.
So what i did, i removed the backside RAM stick cover, where underneath the module hides the Clear CMOS or smth, Reseted it and switched it on, it rightly prompted me to press "F1 for Bios Defaults or F2 Run Bios Setup" taped on F2, toke me in to the Bios Setup, where i couldn't find anything related to 'External monitors' just boot sequence and etc just as i expected.

Saved settings and left, booted up windows, connected my monitor, still No picture, Restarted the machine again Holded/taped F2 to access the setup again and, IT Wouldn't !! Just skipped and loaded up windows as regular, i even tried accessing F12 which supposedly brings up the boot table or what it is called so i can select a USB drive to boot first, but nothing, tried using external USB keyboard with same result.
A few days ago i had some time on my hands, watched some disassembly videos and decided i take it apart, the whole thing, finished disassembling, toke a magnifying glass and looked allover the board to identify any visible damage, but.. Nothing was found.

Model - (Asus Eee PC 1015PX) 2GB DDR3 - SSD 256GB.

Could this be a BIOS Fault or a Faulty Motherboard maybe ? Is there a workaround for the External monitor to make it work, like let's say a USB to VGA adapter if there's anything like that ? THANK YOU.

Solution
So your issue is that it does not get into the BIOS now? Is the second monitor connected when you are trying this or no?

Yes you need the correct video drivers to use to get the external video working in most cases, so if you are running XP and the system does not have XP drivers from the vendor, that is an issue.

A USB to VGA adapter will work, it just acts as a second video card.
So your issue is that it does not get into the BIOS now? Is the second monitor connected when you are trying this or no?

Yes you need the correct video drivers to use to get the external video working in most cases, so if you are running XP and the system does not have XP drivers from the vendor, that is an issue.

A USB to VGA adapter will work, it just acts as a second video card.

Solution

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015

Yes, sort of, it won't enter the bios setup.. i thought about updating the bios but now that it don't works i can forget that one.
Windows XP has the drivers from the vendor. I'm going to install windows 7 if i can get one, see if that fixes it.
If it doesn't i'm going buy a USB to VGA. Thanks