Video and Audio slowly lose sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmimey

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I have been struggling with a problem for a few months now. I am out of ideas on how to fix this problem.

When I watch a video the sound and the video slowly go out of sync. The sound plays before the video. The longer the video plays the larger the gap between the sound and video grow. If I stop the video and restart it where I left off they are in perfect sync. Then slowly as it plays they will drift out of sync. After about 15 min it is very obvious.

This is where it gets strange. It effects all programs. VLC, Windows movie player, iTunes, Firefox, Chrome, and Plex. It effects YouTube, twitch, and Netflix. All programs and all websites seem to have the same problem. Twitch is Live and even that is effected by this bug.

I run windows 10 Pro fully updated.
Here is a dxdiag.txt link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Ww9jKoJxrlSWx5YzV5NWRoNTQ/view?usp=sharing

Any ideas what could cause this?

shmimey

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

I have not found a solution.

could you send me a DXdiag of your build?

shmimey

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Recently this problem got much worse. I think it had slowly gotten better and I have not noticed it much anymore.

Then just this week it got much worse. I now think it is a problem with the AMD Radeon driver. I have just updated it and that has been the only change I have done recently. More testing is needed to confirm this.

shmimey

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I can confirm it is definitely the AMD video card driver.

Radeon crimson 16.12.2 made the problem much worse.
Radeon crimson 17.1.2 made the problem much worse.

I imagine that this has been a problem for a while. I have been experiencing it for a long time. Some versions of the driver were better and others were worse.

genericuser77

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
Similar situation here. I'm watching sport in VLC. If I use hot keys to jump forward the sound gets out of synch. Each jump it gets worse. It only started this week. It's happening on files I watched last week that were fine under same use conditions. I can only assume it's a change in driver.

Driver Packaging Version
16.40.2311.1002-161121a-309377E

shmimey

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I have been paying more attention to this since my last time updating this thread.

Radeon crimson 17.2.1 seems to work well for me.
Radeon crimson 17.3.1 is very bad. I uninstalled it and went back to 17.2.1

Best advise I can give is this.

Every time the AMD driver updates it will leave the old driver behind.
Go to the AMD directory on your main drive and you will see each driver in a folder.

Use trial and error to figure out what drivers work better on your machine.

incognibro

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
Putting my own experience here because the thread might come up in searches:

Changing the drivers can also be the solution for Nvidia cards.

I had video slowly lagging behind audio over time on all media, playing local files, youtube, netflix. Stopping (not pausing) and continuing the video from the same spot, or refreshing the browser tab fixed it for a bit but then it started again.

I was only about 3 months behind in drivers for my gtx 950. Still, updating them fixed it for me.

sindrax

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

I'm having the same problem. I'm starting to wonder if it's a side affect of using gsync/freesync? I just formatted my computer completely and the problem is already happening again after only installing drivers, Destiny 2 and a couple other games.

metsfan2152

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017

If i uninstall and reinstall my audio drives it works for that day. After i restart it happens again not sure though. Have you tried to disable your gysnc?

sindrax

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

I've had the issue whether gsync is on or off. I just found and installed the latest driver for my onboard sound manually and will continue to test

Status
Not open for further replies.