VIDEO: Boeing's Advanced Tactical Laser; Pew

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Looks like it's already powerful enough to burn a hole through a person. I'm sure they will get the power up on this thing to the point where can make a small crater.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
A couple of years ago they demonstrated the targeting system of this nasty mutha. It is not just one laser but a combination of several for tracking and firing. The system uses two lasers for tracking the target while "other systems" identify the fuel source of the target. Once identified The main laser fires with the intent of igniting the fuel source in the target. Nothing like having the fuel tank rupture into and engulfing ball of red/orange death. It is not designed for human targeting, but hey, there is always collateral damager. Implementation would leave a 747 flying around the boarded or escourting ground forces. Range is estimated at about 300 miles. But I am sure that is for accuracy falling past a specified tolerance.

I would like to see a pair of these in a attack squadron along side two B-1Rs (B-1 conversion into a flying missile truck woohoo!!!) and a handful of Raptors.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I have seen the how the targeting system works before. Uses multiple lasers for tracking the target and "other systems" to locate the fuel source or warhead of the target. Once found it fires the main laser and ignites the fuel source or warhead. Not really designed for human acquisitions. But I am sure there will be some collateral damage. Bet that thing gives you one hell of a tan. (KFC Style)

I would love to see a couple of these paired with two B-1Rs (B-1 conversion into a flying missile truck...woohoo!!) and a handful or Raptors.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Its not a question of weapons. Its the rules of engagement that are holding us back in the Middle East. Of course espionage has its place, but assassinations were banned by Congress in 1976. Or maybe it was 1975.. I dont feel like looking it up to confirm..[/citation]
I think it relation to this article it's entirely a question of weapons. Why spend billions on weapon research when all adversaries of the Western World want to fight us with relatively outdated stuff, and it seems that we can't even as much as appear to be stronger. I know a thing or two about the deployment of military strategy, and I am well aware of resolutions both national and international which outlaw black-ops, but let's face it, we're not talking about State vs State we're talking about Ideals vs Terrorism and that will never be an honourable conflict. That was my point.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Surprised obama hasn't cut this program. His idea of national defense is his personality and a hearty smile.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Ultra-Precision Engagement?? That laser was crisping the outside of the "target box"... I question accuracy on smaller targets, such as infantry. While on that note, what does it do to imitated (or brave volunteer) infantry targets?

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
The problem is that this technology would put a large hole in the ammunition company's portfolio. I don't see this technology picking up soon. It may have the same slow fate as the electric car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS