VIDEO: iPad 'Playing' Crysis, Kind Of

Status
Not open for further replies.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
This is fake right? It looks like the video was pre-recorded and then played back on the ipad while the dude moved his fingers to make it look like he was playing.

I know it would be possible with the whole OnLive thing, but to me the video just didn't look genuine. Anybody else get that impression?

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I always get mixed feelings about cloud gaming.

On the one hand, if they truly got the response times down to less than 10ms, it would be an amazing thing, to be able to play any game, anywhere, on anything.

On the other hand, I don't want to 'rent' the ability to play games, or store my save games online.

And I just love having a powerful piece of technology under my desk, crunching away all the numbers necessary to immerse myself in a great game.

oneamtu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
oh look how advanced the ipad is! if it streams a youtube video of bacon frying that means it can cook too right?

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm throwing the BS flag on this one. A penalty of 100 cool points and a 24 hour lost of internet connection. Still an iPod touch.

nictron

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I agree that it is fake.

The top shows either a time-demo or recorded benchmark running.

Does Tom's not check these before they post!

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]100 fps X 1000 ping = 100000 FAIL[/citation]

You got your units way off, values are incorrect and overall equation is incorrect.
fps are in seconds, so should ping.
ping is down to around 40 ms.
The resulting unit by your equation is 'frames' not sure what you mean by that?
I think what you meant to say was something like (1 frame) / (40 ms ping) = 25 fps. Which is actually not that bad, but is of course assuming optimal conditions.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]LeJay[/nom]You got your units way off, values are incorrect and overall equation is incorrect.fps are in seconds, so should ping.ping is down to around 40 ms.The resulting unit by your equation is 'frames' not sure what you mean by that?I think what you meant to say was something like (1 frame) / (40 ms ping) = 25 fps. Which is actually not that bad, but is of course assuming optimal conditions.[/citation]

let me explain this in slow motion, if ur playing a game at 100 frame rate AND have an internet connection latency of 1000ms your gaming experience will FAIL at the speed of light..... ANY QUESTIONS?

fr0stza

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]This is fake right? It looks like the video was pre-recorded and then played back on the ipad while the dude moved his fingers to make it look like he was playing.I know it would be possible with the whole OnLive thing, but to me the video just didn't look genuine. Anybody else get that impression?[/citation]
Try reading the article :/

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I would rather want to see this as a way to connect a portable device to your computer and use it as a wireless display device, kind of like connecting to your home computer remotely using rdesktop/rdp or VNC.

It would be cool to use it as an extra interface while playing say, FPS RPGs. The real action would be in the main screen while you can use the portable device to search and browse through spells, view player stats etc. This could even be a way to let two persons play a game. Another application would be to use it a s a remote control/file browser for a media player.

Status
Not open for further replies.