jukesie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Hi all, Ok so I am looking into getting a projector to mount on my wall connected to my PC or Media Player to project onto the opposite wall. I am on a budget, at least I'd like to see how low I can find a solution for. Below is the best I've found at the price but I wanted to ask some expert advice about this option;

Optoma PT105

Here are some particulars about my room/situation;

The throw distance and distance from the viewing position would be the same, about 7.5'/8'.

There is no real control over the ambient light, as in there is no light dimming available, only lights/lamps on/off.

Wiring and sound I will work out depending on the projector I buy.

I plan on playing video files/occasional DVD's from PC and HDD Media Player.

Projector Central - Optoma PT105 Specs
Projector Central - Optoma PT105 Calculator
Projector Central - Optoma PT105 Review

Looks like this is more of a gaming projector than a regular media projector. Yes, it will still play videos/DVDs, but given its limited resolution, you can forget about anything Hi-Def.

Your viewing room is actually too large for this projector. The recommended throw distance is actually between 3 1/2' and 5'. The calculator I linked doesn't even go up to 7'.

I really do recommend reading the review (also linked) before making the purchase. I don't really like this (or any projector at this price range) for viewing videos. To be honest, you probably need to spend between $400 and $500 for just a low-end video projector and upwards of $900 for a decent 1080p projector.

-Wolf sends

P.S. I've owned the BenQ MP610 and currently own the Optoma HD20.

jukesie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Thank you Wolfshadow.

That gives me the answer I was looking for. I had read a review or two that seemed to solely talk about that projectors Gaming potential which was what concerned me, they didn't often mention video. Oh well, I guess I won't be able to do what I wanted for as much as I wanted to spend. But thank you again for your quick and VERY helpful reply! :)